Damper for add on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattinpa

Oct 25, 2008
Western Pa
I wanted to put a damper in the pipe between my add on furnace and my oil furnace plenum. When I went to go
order one at my furnace supplier, they said one typically is not used and that I should just run the heat pipe
at a 45 degree into the plenum. They said a damper would not give me the effect that I would think it would give.
Does this make sense??

mattrookie said:
I wanted to put a damper in the pipe between my add on furnace and my oil furnace plenum. When I went to go
order one at my furnace supplier, they said one typically is not used and that I should just run the heat pipe
at a 45 degree into the plenum. They said a damper would not give me the effect that I would think it would give.
Does this make sense??
ok what effect you wanting?

I just thought one would control backflow. When I run the oil furnace, I really don't want the air from it
flowing to the wood furnace, do I?

mattrookie said:
I just thought one would control backflow. When I run the oil furnace, I really don't want the air from it
flowing to the wood furnace, do I?
yes i would use one if nothing else the manual one so you can cut the wood furance out of the loop in the summer

I'm installing a Daka furnace and manual states to place a manual damper on the wood furnace side for the reason smokinj said. For the Daka they use 2 8" ducts going form the wood furnace into the plenum of the main furnace - they say to use 90 degree elbows pointing up in the plenum (in the direction of air flow) to avoid back flow into the wood furnace. They also have a couple of other alternatives in their manual you may want to look at. You can find it at dakacorp.com. I have also seen in the US Stove manuals that they show the duct intersecting the main furnace plenum at a 45 deg angle like you mentioned.

Yes you need one despite what they say. That way you don't lose pressure through the plenum of the oil furnace.

Status
Not open for further replies.