DAMPER ON A DEVA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cookstove newby

Jul 23, 2022
NJ
Hi, I saw someone ask about installing a damper on their wood stove. I have a Deva on order now.

I know nothing about wood stoves actually so would anyone know if the Deva has a damper already?

I know that it goes in the flue pipe but that's all I know right now. Is this something that is needed on all wood stoves?

Thanks in advance.

JoCarole

A damper is used to reduce draft strength. It is not required for most stoves, but when needed, it will help tame too strong draft. If in doubt, it's ok to leave it out. A stove pipe damper can be added later.

How tall will the chimney be that the cookstove is connecting to?

Reactions: Cookstove newby
That is good to know, tx.
I don't know about the chimney. The dealer didn't tell me. Is there a default size for it?
Sounds like this will be a new chimney How tall will it be? one story, two?

I have a ranch, so the dealer said it would go straight up through my attic. The first time I wanted it on the front of the house but he would have had to angle it off and I told him I didn't want that bc of the problems with cleaning out the chimney so I am having it now on the side wall of the house instead.

It sounds like the stove will be ok without a damper.

Reactions: Cookstove newby