damper on an fpx elite 33

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steamroller69633

Nov 21, 2016
new jersey
I have an elite 33 which i have had for 5 years. in the last 2 years i have not been able to choke the fire way down at night. I pretty much leave the damper pulled all the way out all the time and the stove cooks me out of the room. the wood is very seasoned and i know that would make it burn faster but i feel as though too much air is getting to the fire. The door was replaced last year under warranty because the threads were damaged on the glass tiebacks.
is there something that could be holding the damper plate open. i dont feel anything different in the handle

I don't understand. Closing the bypass damper would reduce the fire, leaving it open won't help reduce the fire. If you shut the bypass and the air control down it's still too hot?

The bypass and the damper are 2 different things. The damper controls the air amd the bypass is for when you want to open the door or reduce secondary combustion. I pull the damper closed and it reduces the fire somewhat but no where near what it once was. I cant burn more than 4-5 hours after loading.

I'm familiar with the stove. For clarity, it's the bypass damper on the stovetop, and primary air control at the bottom.

Close a dollar bill in the door, try it all the way around. The bill should have firm resistance. Also open the door and grab the glass on both sides, see if it slides up and down.

I wasn't trying to insinuate you didnt know the stove. Just trying give all the info i can. Thank you for helping. I will
Try the dollar bill in the morning when the stove is cool. Its red hot right now. The glass doesnt move.

I wasn't trying to insinuate you didnt know the stove. Just trying give all the info i can. Thank you for helping. I will
Try the dollar bill in the morning when the stove is cool. Its red hot right now. The glass doesnt move.
The handle has some adjustment to it, if the gasket is still serviceable.

When that happened with my old stove, it was a crack in a seam in the firebox in the back that I hadn't seen.

Is the bypass damper going all the way closed? It should make a solid thunk, metal on metal sound. The pull ring should be almost touching the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.