Q&A Damper position on wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

The flue on our wood stove can rotate down to close or up to close. Would the position used be better up or down? After opening the flue to load the stove we then crack it turning the handle up and then open it app.1/4 of a turn up. Is this the proper way? I'm not sure if I have explained myself clearly so I will try again using clock positions. When the handle on the flue is in the 12:00 position it is closed, at 3:00 it is open and at 6:00 it is closed. We usually go to 3:00 to load the stove and run the stove between 1:00 and 2:00, is this the way it should be operated. Thank you in advance for you patience and any and all help.

Answer:

Damper setting are variable, and can change with particulars like the stove, wood, chimney and damper design. For that reason, it comes down to you fiddling around to find the right settings. In most cases, this means opening it fully when starting and loading, and then closing it to a certain degree after the fire is going. Many people find they can close the damper even further once wood has burned completely down to the ember stage. This helps hold the heat in the stove and allows a longer burn.

Be sure that you don't close the damper so much that smoke rolls back out of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.