Damper positions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dann-0

Jul 4, 2020
New Hampshire
Hi all,
I've just installed a vigilant stove that I refurbished. The house came with a pellet stove but I didn't like the noise.
My question is, when not in use . Does it matter if the dampers are open or closed?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 138
I don't think so. At least I don't recall reading anything about this. But if you are in a very humid area then maybe leaving the bypass in the open position might stop it from sticking due to rusting over the summer?

I had a Vigilant and always closed the dampers when not in use. Reduced the draft(pulling of warm air) out of house in cold weather. We have humid summers, never an issue with any rust or sticking.

Beautiful install same setup I had for my vigilant when I had it. Either way open or close your choice.