Damper problem when hot on VC Encore 2550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klars

Oct 19, 2015
MA
I just replaced the upper fireback (not the whole assembly) on my 1999 VC Encore 2550. The damper works fine when the stove is cold or when the stove is not too hot but when the stove is hot I cannot open the damper using the damper handle on the left side of the stove. It will not budge until the stove temperature goes down ( probably due to heat expansion). I have tried to adjust the damper adjustment in the middle of the damper as instructed in the manual (loosen nut and use an Allen wrench to adjust the center screw). I have tried to adjust in several different positions but the same thing happens. Any advise on how to properly adjust to eliminate this problem. There is another nut just below the damper adjustment screw. What is that for and does this have anything to do with it.

Has It been like this since new? How is the throat hood? In a good shape or warped?

Has It been like this since new? How is the throat hood? In a good shape or warped?

I have owned this stove since 1999. The damper never acted this way before. The old throat hood became warped and I could not get a new straight one to fit. I was told by the local dealer to replace the upper fireback to fix the problem. I purchased a new fireback assembly and in the process of putting it in one of the wings that holds the throat hood broke. I purchased a new upper fireback base (without the assembly) and transferred the new assembly parts to it (damper, rod, etc.). I installed it in the stove without a problem. I also replaced the lower fireback as well because it was warped. The throat hood fit in nicely and the damper control worked fine until the stove gets hot. I have to wait for the stove to cool off some before I can operate the damper. I don't have to wait for the fire to go out, just for it not to be too hot. I can then add logs and close the damper.

Is the damper plate sealing nice and tight when closed? Can you access the plate via the flue collar to see. It might be opening fine while cold and expands just fraction of mm to rub when hot. You should still be able to see it.

If that is not the case then keep playing with the adjustments on the damper rod.

Is the damper plate sealing nice and tight when closed? Can you access the plate via the flue collar to see. It might be opening fine while cold and expands just fraction of mm to rub when hot. You should still be able to see it.

If that is not the case then keep playing with the adjustments on the damper rod.

When I look at it from the front doors the seal looks fine but I can take off the flue insert to look down the flue collar if you think that would give me a better look. What about the dollar bill test, will this help me with testing the seal? What about the other nut on the front of the damper just below the damper adjustment screw and nut, does this play a role in adjusting the damper and what is its function? Also, on the back side of the damper there is a large screw that holds the rod clamp, should I try and loosen this screw a bit if I can get to it via the flue collar ( I don't want to take off the upper fireback off again if I can avoid it). There are also two tabs on the back side of the fireback that also hold the rod ends in place, do you think that I should try and loosen this up as well. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.