damper removed, any suggestion on how to insulate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
I don't use this fireplace much at all, Lyemance damper at top, any suggestions on how to stop reverse
chimney effect, cold air coming in.

Thanks, used a wad of fiberglass last year but figure there is a better way . .

Attachments

• flue0001.JPG
    flue0001.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 355
I forget the name of the product, but the idea pretty neat. It's a thick balloon type thing that you push up thru the damper opening, and then inflate. 'Chimney Pillow' maybe?

I can't recommend the chimney pillow. I got one and the problem is no 2 chimneys are alike and the chimney pillow is apparantly made to fit one particular chimney so, unless you have the same specs it was modelled after it will be useless. Heck, it's useless probably even in the perfect chimney.

What works is get some foil backed foam insulation (polyisocyanurate) or foam insulation (Extruded Polystryrene) and cut the shape out and silicone it in place. If you want to remove it, use rope caulk around the edges. You can read the directions of how to make one at https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/ but make it out of foam and, don't cut the center circle out :)

A thick plastic bag stuffed with fiberglass shoved just past the damper hole then silicone the edges of the plastic to the sides. Leave a red ribbon or a rope hanging down to remind you whats up there.

I have a three flue chimney. One flue is for a incinerator, never used any more. Im thinking about getting a peace of aluminium flashing and silicone it down to the top of the ceramic liner at the top to seal it off.

Thanks a lot, great suggestions . . will do both, both f.glass wad shoved up 1st, then 2" polystyrene board sealed on sides with rope caulk . .like the idea of a removal feature should the pyro in me need to have two full blown fires going (like maybe when the power goes out)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.