Damper setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koodjack

Jan 25, 2012
nh
Hello can someone give me advice regarding damper settings. This is my second season using the regency cs2400 alterra, I would like ask if I should open the damper all the way when I have only embers left? Or keep it midway, it seems to lower the wood stove temp if I have set it midway. Ty all for all your help. Al

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 94
In general I'd start out a new load with lots of air, then reduce the air as the load of wood becomes fully engaged in burning. Later, as the yellow flames start to disappear, give it more air to help burn the coals down. When you get to nothing but coals, you need a lot of air to get adequate heat from the stove.

The precise setting on the damper varies from one setup to another, and will also vary with weather and outside temperature. The air you get at 3/4 open on a warm day might be the same air you'd get with 1/2 open on a cold day, for example.

Reactions: Wickets
For me, If I am home, once the stove starts to get to the coaling stage, I may open the primary air back up slightly but most of the time at goes all the way through the cycle at whatever the cruise setting happened to be on that day. I will open it back up more if I intend to burn the coal bed down some. With good weather and dry wood I normally have very little left at the end of a 7-8 hour cycle so in my setup, it does not seem to require moch adjustment. If you are ending up with a bunch black coals, it may be better to open it up a little if you are around at that point. Like stated above, setups, weather and wood will make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.