Damper with BK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wet1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Since I'm completely redoing everything on and around my hearth, I want to replace all my pipe with new double wall stuff (probably going with Selkirk DSP). Since I have only been burning the King in the garage with a relatively short flue (it's 6" also), I'm wondering how my 35+' x 6" flue will draft in the house with this stove using the double wall. I'm going to be ordering parts soon, and it's easy to install the damper now. I was wondering what the BK folks thought about using a damper with these stoves. I normally wouldn't consider it, but with my soon to be better insulated long flue, I'm a little concerned about over drafting, even though it's a cat stove. Thoughts?

With the temps N60 reports, you are worried about over drafting? Depending on your distances, you may be able to hold the option of a damper later with the right telescopic section.

I don't think you'll need a damper with this stove.Once the cat. is set the only thing I see coming out of my chimney is a white vapor.It's been said that the chimney can be so cool that it can ice up when the stove is burning.So maybe a damper would make the chimney that much cooler which is something you don't want.Wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.