dating a mama bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsting

Oct 8, 2014
granby, mo.
Hi, I got very lucky at an auction last summer, and picked up a mama bear cheap. I was just looking for a shop stove, and didn't know anything about a fisher,
bbut I could tell it was a heavy built, quality stove. I found this forum, and found out that I had got a really great stove!
Anyway, here is what I have, straight top door, straight handle, with plated spring on the handle, angle iron on the corners that are the legs, 5 fin cast aluminum draft controls. If I've read these posts right, that adds up to a 1978 model?
On the inside of the door is stamped M/P, RH, PC. One above the next, in that order. I looked on the bottom as best I could with a mirror,(ya ever try to pick one of these up by yourself), but couldn' see any numbers. What do the door letters mean, if anything?
The old girl seems in great shape, it was rusty, but a wire brush on an angle grinder cleaned it right up. Repainted it already. Needs some firebrick replaced, that will be a question for another post. Hinge pins are good and tight, the door locks down good. Draft controls don't seem worn. Overall, I couldn't be happier with it.
OK, what do you think about the age?
Thanks, Russ

Yep, 78 or after.
Mama / Papa, Right Hand, and I forget the PC - if memory serves me, the C is almost an O like the mold was missing a small part of the O as in "Portland Oregon" but I could be wrong.

One trick picking them up yourself is using a 2 X 6 (or larger) through the door as a lever. Rear vented stoves can be picked up in the back the same way using a board through the vent as a lever. Position long boards flat on ground from stove to your feet. While lifting with about 6 feet of leverage, slide board under stove leg with your foot. Work it up to the height you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.