Dead longleaf and homemade fatwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basod

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2009
Mount Cheaha Alabama
This Longleaf started dying a couple years ago, judging from the pitch hardened bark that remained up top the sapsuckers did a number on it. Figured I'd drop it and add to the shoulder pile before it blew into something else, until I notched the stump and found nothing but swiss cheese.
Fell 90deg off plan and hung in a Pin Oak limb, 3 back cuts later and I was able to toss a tag line up to a small limb and pull it back over on itself.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 178
The center of the stump was perfect fatwood material, spent a few minutes shaving it off stuff was almost translucent.

And too bad this top broke, would have been an interesting carving specimen

Attachments

• IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 162
i had a big pine that i cut up and the lower portion was breaking apart in the core. a lot of sap and strands that easily separated....not rotted or punky, just a lot of pitch that settled into the core. great kindling.....

cass

Look like you are set for fire starter.
Good that it's down before the wind took it at the wrong time & place. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.