Deal for my own locust… I’m pumped!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jkbemdavis

Apr 27, 2009
WNY
I’m having a timber cut done in my woods and asked the logger what he would charge to haul out some of my locust so I could cut it up for firewood. ( it’s in a swampy area that I can’t get to but the skidder can). He said he would trade me the work for two of my larch trees and two locust trees. I was satisfied with that arrangement and now it’s time to start cutting. ( I burn in an outdoor boiler and this may be mixed in some this year but more so after it has seasoned ). That’s a lot of btu’s sitting there.

5F16E0BF-D6D4-4840-B448-18E0B4A4F0D9.jpeg

Reactions: Split
Good Lord! What a beautiful sight!
I love locust and burn quite a bit of it. Twenty years ago the blight swept through the NC mountains, and killed all my locust trees.
They say that locust doesn't rot. Well it does rot, but rots slowly. I have two long dead locusts still standing, and then it will be all over for locust for me. About half the wood in my pile right now is locust.

Your logs look to be big and healthy, I guess the blight didn't hit y'all up North.

Good Lord! What a beautiful sight!
I love locust and burn quite a bit of it. Twenty years ago the blight swept through the NC mountains, and killed all my locust trees.
They say that locust doesn't rot. Well it does rot, but rots slowly. I have two long dead locusts still standing, and then it will be all over for locust for me. About half the wood in my pile right now is locust.

Your logs look to be big and healthy, I guess the blight didn't hit y'all up North.
Wow that’s too bad about the blight hitting yours. I’m really fortunate. I have a stand of nice trees this size and larger (prob1-2 acres). It’s just tough to get to without the big machinery. I counted rings… some of these are 75+ years old.

I had a small locust die on me in PA, sitting near a telephone pole. I cut it down and delimbed it. It has been on the forest floor now for about 6 years. I havent touched it. I was planning to do something with it like make a railing out of it or something to hold up my new front porch when I get to that , although my current is newer but made out of dimensional lumber and decking lumber, it just doesnt look fitting for a cabin.
I may just end up cutting it up for firewood.
It hasnt rotted one bit. Even the bark looks fresh and healthy.

Seems to me like it is easiest to cut when it is freshly down and still has a little moisture in it. Once it dries out the stuff is a son of a gun to cut.

Seems to me like it is easiest to cut when it is freshly down and still has a little moisture in it. Once it dries out the stuff is a son of a gun to cut.
Here I thought it was my chain.

Reactions: jkbemdavis