Dealer has VC, Jotul, Regency & Osborn - help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi again…. Does it sound ok …. My local dealer told me to not get the Regency F2450____but get the F2500 instead for the tax credit…. He said the cat was added as an afterthought so to speak…..and can be removed with no harm done if I want….and at least I’d get the tax credit……the F2450 is cheaper….no credit…..the F2500 more$ but the credit will be mine. I work a part time job only and it’s low pay…… not sure if the credit will do much ….. Do I get that credit every year??? So if I get back to a regular job maybe in a year or 2 will that credit be mine for year after year? Not sure why this dealer is pushing the 2500 so much
It's not their best cat implementation or the best cat design stove on the market.

Reactions: Slocochef
It's not their best cat implementation or the best cat design stove on the market.
Right……. that’s why I didn’t want the cat on this stove….but he pressed me on it…..now I am backing off the whole idea entirely…. I will go to a new dealer tomorrow in another town to clear my head and begin again!

read what people write about the stoves your interested in and whittle it down don't by local if they don't have what you want .buying stove and piping is not cheap even with credit take your time buy what you want
Ok great advice…I was set on helping this new business out but really dislike being pushed to what they want to sell rather than what I envision…I am open to a point as they are experts but this is just getting weird being railroaded…..I will shop around in a couple other stores
read what people write about the stoves your interested in and whittle it down don't by local if they don't have what you want .buying stove and piping is not cheap even with credit take your time buy what you want

I know I might be biased but the Pacific Energy stoves are so easy to use. The mid size Super would be a good size for you. My small 1.6 Vista heats 1,800 sq ft with ease. Our cape is 21 years old and well insulated.

OP...since you have no idea as to which stove you are going to go with I would hold off on any wood delivery because you do not know what length of firewood your yet to be determined stove is going to need...14 in.?16 in.? 18 in.? The last thing you want to do is get a bunch of split firewood that you have to recut! Thats sucks! You will also need a moisture meter as these modern stove require/demand a moisture content of 20% or less for best results...I am willing to bet money that the wood he has for sale is not ready to burn this year..thats just the nature of the beast when you have to purchase firewood..ask when it was cut and split..if it has been just within the past year it is more than likely not ready to burn this year..hardwoods require 2 years of seasoning on average..and this brings up another point...you should be on a 3 year program so you can rotate out and this will allow you to always have well seasoned wood on hand to burn for full time burning...how much you ask per winter? I am going to venture a guess of 3-4 cord...get that 3 year supply bought this year if you have the storage capacity and can afford it...it will be the smartest decision you can make regarding this process..as to which stove to go with...my suggestion would be a cat stove in the 2.0-2.5 cu. ft. range and that list is very short...either a BK or Woodstock...both offer top of line cat stoves with excellent track records and customer service second to none! Some say that changing a cat is a hassle..thats BS...it takes less than 5 minutes in either model mentioned...I realize that neither of these stoves are readily available to you but you should consider them as buyers remorse is a terrible thing..

I know I might be biased but the Pacific Energy stoves are so easy to use. The mid size Super would be a good size for you. My small 1.6 Vista heats 1,800 sq ft with ease. Our cape is 21 years old and well insulated.
I was just reading their website….thank you very much…..!! A store 1 hr south of me sells them….will try to learn all I can & see if they install this far away….they open at 9am….but if this next storm interferes may have to go another day
OP...since you have no idea as to which stove you are going to go with I would hold off on any wood delivery because you do not know what length of firewood your yet to be determined stove is going to need...14 in.?16 in.? 18 in.? The last thing you want to do is get a bunch of split firewood that you have to recut! Thats sucks! You will also need a moisture meter as these modern stove require/demand a moisture content of 20% or less for best results...I am willing to bet money that the wood he has for sale is not ready to burn this year..thats just the nature of the beast when you have to purchase firewood..ask when it was cut and split..if it has been just within the past year it is more than likely not ready to burn this year..hardwoods require 2 years of seasoning on average..and this brings up another point...you should be on a 3 year program so you can rotate out and this will allow you to always have well seasoned wood on hand to burn for full time burning...how much you ask per winter? I am going to venture a guess of 3-4 cord...get that 3 year supply bought this year if you have the storage capacity and can afford it...it will be the smartest decision you can make regarding this process..as to which stove to go with...my suggestion would be a cat stove in the 2.0-2.5 cu. ft. range and that list is very short...either a BK or Woodstock...both offer top of line cat stoves with excellent track records and customer service second to none! Some say that changing a cat is a hassle..thats BS...it takes less than 5 minutes in either model mentioned...I realize that neither of these stoves are readily available to you but you should consider them as buyers remorse is a terrible thing..
Great advice….am appreciative! The wood guy can still help me out tomorrow by answering your very good questions and point out storage solutions and areas in my yard for wood storage…..will call the other 2 stove stores ea an hour to 1.5 hours away to see if they service my area for install and maintenance…..or at least install. My last quote for a Regency with my options topped $9k…..installed - that estimate is shocking to me! My need was for emergencies d/t weather/& enjoy ambiance - with a capable stove to heat the home if I decided to supplement elec furnace or go all wood burning in the future. I will look at BK & Woodstock this morning online….thank you!!

I would not wait on wood. Most standard size wood stoves take 16-18”. I can take up to 18”. Also most sellers in my area sell a mix so might be the same in your area where you can’t specify a length. Also good to hear you have a PE dealer. Really not much maintenance on these and again simple to use and draft really well. Some on here are using baffles that are 14 years old.

Reactions: kborndale
really for servicing unless it's a piece of crap. pe ,drolet ,stoves with good reps are pretty much owner serviced. chimney sweep if u want and tidying up late spring,pretty much idiot proof take me for example lol

really for servicing unless it's a piece of crap. pe ,drolet ,stoves with good reps are pretty much owner serviced. chimney sweep if u want and tidying up late spring,pretty much idiot proof take me for example lol
Yes….not wanting to spend on crap…..but hoping on someone to say we will come out and look at things if there’s a repeating issue of some type ….just got off phone with a place that sounds pretty solid …..20+ years in business.... same store staff does all installations etc…. I am the ultimate not diy person…..sigh wish it were otherwise - but do feel a stove is needed here! Thx so much for this insight!

That is horrible advice, the sooner you get your wood the better.

Reactions: Wildflush
That is horrible advice, the sooner you get your wood the better.
Apparently you have never had to recut firewood or you would not think its such horrible advice...lol waiting a week or 2 will not matter one bit.

I was just reading their website….thank you very much…..!! A store 1 hr south of me sells them….will try to learn all I can & see if they install this far away….they open at 9am….but if this next storm interferes may have to go another day

Great advice….am appreciative! The wood guy can still help me out tomorrow by answering your very good questions and point out storage solutions and areas in my yard for wood storage…..will call the other 2 stove stores ea an hour to 1.5 hours away to see if they service my area for install and maintenance…..or at least install. My last quote for a Regency with my options topped $9k…..installed - that estimate is shocking to me! My need was for emergencies d/t weather/& enjoy ambiance - with a capable stove to heat the home if I decided to supplement elec furnace or go all wood burning in the future. I will look at BK & Woodstock this morning online….thank you!!
You are welcome..I understand the sticker shock my friend! I jumped in knowing that I was going to be burning full time and it has paid itself off twice over..the wife and I are getting some serious age on us and I have propane for back up but do not use it anymore than necessary...do you know if your stove pipe will running straight up and out the roof? This is ideal for maintenance and draft..

Apparently you have never had to recut firewood or you would not think its such horrible advice...lol waiting a week or 2 will not matter one bit.

You can cut firewood down to size, I've done it, it sucks but it's not the end of the world. You can't make wet wood dry without a kiln. I would much rather have dry wood that I can cut down and burn over wet wood that is the correct size that I can't burn until next year. And when you buy wood it mostly comes in assorted sizes.

You are welcome..I understand the sticker shock my friend! I jumped in knowing that I was going to be burning full time and it has paid itself off twice over..the wife and I are getting some serious age on us and I have propane for back up but do not use it anymore than necessary...do you know if your stove pipe will running straight up and out the roof? This is ideal for maintenance and draft..
I know the one estimate guy went to that upstairs room, evidently opened a built in side cupboard like door where he could see the insulation and roof area….so my guess is yes? I can try to attach a photo - that house part off to the right in my pic with the window toward front of house is the wall where he said stove could go….there’s a chimney from a basement former stove area I guess…his inspection of that 3 years ago was “never use that chimney”

D51D445F-448F-47FA-827E-2562D106515C.jpeg

You can cut firewood down to size, I've done it, it sucks but it's not the end of the world. You can't make wet wood dry without a kiln. I would much rather have dry wood that I can cut down and burn over wet wood that is the correct size that I can't burn until next year. And when you buy wood it mostly comes in assorted sizes.
Listen...all I was suggesting is to not rush into the firewood buying..you can get screwed in a heart beat..I sold firewood for the better part of 25 years...the customer got what they wanted cut to length..I bought 16 cord of locust from a local young man...I will not recut one single stick of it as he cut it to the 16 in. length I wanted...so there are guys out there that cut to length...hopefully the OP can find one..I for one do not want to recut firewood that I paid a premium for..I will not do it.