Dearhorn Gas Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ScottyB

Dec 31, 2014
Bryan, Tx
I have a Dearborn Heater at our Lodge building.
Model DVRC 65. I know its not a gas fireplace or stove, but
I figured I would try. I cannot find much info about these things.

Does anyone know anything about them?
I'm looking at getting it started up again. A lot of the guys that
have been around for a long time have said they haven't seen
it on in probably 30 years. I cleaned it up a little bit. Mostly had
a bunch of dust almost like new. Any info would help. Thanks

Attachments

• 0124192002a.jpg
    0124192002a.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 228
  • 0128191702b.jpg
    0128191702b.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 270
  • 0128191701.jpg
    0128191701.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 0128191702.jpg
    0128191702.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 313
Please post the make and model of the control valve. It looks like you have a standing pilot ignition system with the control valve operated by a mechanical thermostat which adjusts the temperature on the gas valve, but I can't see your picture clearly enough to be sure.

Probably no reason the heater wont operate, although a degree of caution is appropriate with equipment that hasn't been used for many years.

In general, the first step is to light the pilot burner. Turn on the gas shut off valve ---- if you can ----it's may be seized up. If so, it will need to be disassembled and greased. If it's stuck, don't force it, you will merely break off the handle of the valve.

If you can turn the gas on at that shutoff valve, also check to see if the gas control on the gas control valve is operating. It should say off, pilot and on and turn to those different positions. If it turns OK, turn it to the pilot position. In that position, you should be able to push down on the control, which will turn on the gas to the pilot burner.

You need to follow the pilot tubing to find the pilot burner. Tie a match to the end of a stick to use to light the pilot burner. Push down on the control valve to get gas flowing to the pilot burner, and use the match to light the gas.

You will probably discover that the pilot gas wont light immediately --- you will need to hold down the control valve for a couple of minuted to purge the old gas out to get some that will burn which the match is applied. If you look carefully, yoyu can probably see the match flame being blown around by the flow of gas to the pilot burner, but with the gas not lighting.

After a couple of minutes of holding down the control valve, you'll likely have some gas that will burn at the pilot burner. Light the pilot and continue to hold down the gas control for a minute or so. When you then release it, the pilot should stay lit.

When the pilot stays lit, turns the gas control to the on position, which will allow the main burner to light when the mechanical thermostat is turned up high enough.