December temps in review versus heating cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at 136 bags of pellets in my first season and am keeping track of temperatures here for comparison. This is our first year in our current home and when we bought we got the propane use for last season. We only use propane for the furnace and gas fireplace and the previous owners spent $2400 heating with propane. And I decided to check historical temps here.

Average for December 2008 -15 deg C. / 5 deg F.
Average for December 2007 -12.6 deg C. / 9 deg. F.

So far I have spent $750 on pellets with an anticipated 2-3 tons more needed so costs will be $1200 - $1500. The math works for me in favour of the pellet stove.

We just got a pellet stove this year and are happy with not being dependent on propane to heat our house. We are spending a lot less on pellets than we normally spend on propane.

This is my third year with my pellet stove. My most recent gas bill was $77 that includes heating hot water and drying clothes. If I used it to heat it would be around $200-$250

My last Natural Gas bill was $ 32.00 , for heating water and cooking . If I heated with only gas my budget would be $180.00 a month on budget or around $2100.00 a year.

buildingmaint said:
My last Natural Gas bill was $ 32.00 , for heating water and cooking . If I heated with only gas my budget would be $180.00 a month on budget or around $2100.00 a year.

Quick question when you qoute these low prices for gas usage for the month, is that just the gas charge. because with my bill the gas charge is lower but by the time you add in all the delivery charges and tax's it goes up in price, is that a NYC thing or does everyone get the same shaft!!

thats the same system here for natural gas and electricity - propane is by the liter 72 cents a liter right now or $2.70 a gallon I guess.
Besides the delivery charges etc on our electricity we also have a debt retirement charge, which is topay off the fat cats retirement salaries from the corporation - try figuring the sense in that one :(

Status
Not open for further replies.