Decided to clean it myself...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KYDIYer

Nov 29, 2020
Kentucky
Yesterday I decided to give a go at cleaning my logs and pilot assembly. I watched the obligatory YouTube videos and did some research on how it is done... I have had issues in the past with it smelling horrible (the logs are 12 years old), the logs shutting off intermittently, and this white powder on everything. The technicians have really never offered any suggestions other than replacing the pilot assembly a couple of years ago. Last winter the logs got to where they wouldn't stay on for more than 5 minutes then they would shut off. I finally gave up and never used them. Then in spring, the pilot light went out and I just left it. Fast forward to this weekend. With all the Christmas decor up and the forecast with temps in the 20s, I decided to see what I could do.

So I cleaned them following the recommendations of the YouTube world. Used 220 grit sand paper and hit the thermocoupler and the thermopile. Looked for the hole to blow out the pilot light, but not certain there was one. I am attaching a picture for anyone's thoughts.

Anyway, in the process I broke off part of the piezo (SMH), but lit it with a long butane lighter. It lit right up and stayed on after I released the pilot button. I noticed the flame wasn't staying blue, but had yellow pops every few seconds (see video link, please). Everything I read stated that flame should not have yellow in it. Is this a problem?

And finally, thoughts on the smell and the white powder? The pilot is directly under the back log... I read that flames should not touch the logs. Could that be the cause of the residue and the smell?

So questions are:
1. Do you think the hole is blocked in the pilot light (pic 1)?

2. Is there too much yellow in my flame? (link)

3. Is my thermopile and thermocoupler getting enough of the flame? (link/pic)
4. Is the smell/residue coming from the pilot being directly below the log? (pic)

Thanks for your help!

IMG_2330.jpg IMG_2366.jpg IMG_2340.JPG

What gas log set do you have?
Is it "ventless?"
Any occasional yellow in the pilot flame is a contaminant getting burnt.
Dirt. Dust. Pet dander. Aerosol spray. Nothing to worry about.
If this IS a "ventless" unit, all of those items I listed MAY give off a
smell when they get consumed by the flames.
The white powder is a natural occurrence when burning gas.

Reactions: Tech Guru
What gas log set do you have?
Is it "ventless?"
Any occasional yellow in the pilot flame is a contaminant getting burnt.
Dirt. Dust. Pet dander. Aerosol spray. Nothing to worry about.
If this IS a "ventless" unit, all of those items I listed MAY give off a
smell when they get consumed by the flames.
The white powder is a natural occurrence when burning gas.
Thank you so much for your reply. It is a ventless set, not certain of the manufacturer as the person who built the house had them installed. We are the first owners and they have stunk for 12 years. I feel better knowing that occasional yellow in the flame is not abnormal. We do have a dog, and quite frankly a lot of dust! The white powder can be excessive, but again, if it's nothing to worry about then I won't.

I appreciate you taking time to respond!

Reactions: DAKSY