Decisions decisions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh2121

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
Hey there guys, I need some helpful input. I have two different plans that I thought of going down in regards of heating my 3 level house ( which includes my base ment that has no insulation on the walls) which is approx 2000 sq ft. I live it in a cold canadian climate where its -20 celcius on average. I have a budget of 4000-5000

For my first plan I was thinking of going with a drolet heatmax furnace which would be in the basement - with all new duct work thatll go in ( no idea how much thatll cost ) or

I was thinking was to go with a wood stove ( drolet ht2000 , regency 3100, or the j.a Roby ultimate ) and the money I would save from not having to put in ducts I would put into insulating my basement with foam .

Any input and suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Do you spend time in the basement? If not, put a big arse stove on the main floor.
Does 2000sf include the basement?

Unfinished basements will suck a huge part of the heat from any stove you put there. Foam will make a big difference in making the house much easier to heat but I'm with HW, put the stove on the main floor and it will be easier to load wood and much easier for everyone to enjoy the heat. Wood stove heat is something you want to be near and enjoy, not relegated to the basement like an oil furnace. That said, lots here have their stove in the basement and will disagree with us.

The stoves you want to look at IMHO would be from Pacific Energy & Blaze King. Woodstock makes some awesome stoves but none are ULC registered so cannot be used in Canada unless you want 3' setbacks.<>
I looked at Regency and Roby among many others when I was searching last fall and they are not up to the impressive feats a Blaze King can achieve if you can fit one into your budget. I don't own a BK so I am not trying to push something I bought. Well worth doing a lot of research and this forum is a great place for it.

the chimney input is in the basement
You would have to check to see if it is usable for a wood stove. Chances are you will need a new liner.

Put a nice large stove on that main floor, with new stack, and enjoy the view & the warmth.
That is what I would do.
Somewhere down the road, if you want, you can still insulate the basement and get even greater benefits to heating upstairs even, as there will be less cold from the basement on the floors upstairs.
I have that issue now, some day I will insulate my basement. Problem is, my basement does not stay dry. I have springs that pump like fountains through the cracks when it rains hard, through the they created in the basement floor. Serious hydraulic pressure down there.

A stack is one of those silver pipes ? I do have to put a liner in the chimney anyways so this is a great option. My girlfriend doesn't like the idea having a stove up stairs , but would love the idea of being warm haha. I own a pellet stove currently.
What I was thinking to do before was run 2 stoves in the house , the wood in the basement and the pellet stove on the main floor. Then I spoke to a professional and he was saying the regency 3100 in the basement would heat plenty on its own .

Status
Not open for further replies.