Deer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTY

Feeling the Heat
Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
I have a couple thousand gallons of water squirt out the side of the hill by the house each day. I water the lawn with it. The lawn and flower gardens have been deer magnets during this dry spell. Right now I have a doe and her twins mowing the green spots. The last couple of nights they really mowed off the hollyhocks. I am about a month to six weeks early putting fencing around the tastier bushes and trees.

The turkeys are coming in a little earlier this year also.

The current project is the rebuild of an old wood shed. It is 12X16. It was untreated peeled poles in ground, but it will be sitting on concrete when I get done. I think I dug out a good 50+ years of chips and debris while digging footings. I poured 2'X2X8" pads last week and will pour piers next week. The pads are sitting 44" below ground level to get on solid ground. In two spots I had to go deeper to get rid of the debris. I compacted gravel in those locations.

That sounds like a very large beautiful wood shed you are building and lots of work ahead of you with the concrete workings and stuff..It sounds wonderful water coming out of a hill as well and is that drinkable water? Sounds nice,,clancey

For 70 years or so the spring was used for house water. I drilled a well in 2018. It is difficult to sell a house on a spring due to most people needing financing. Spring water generally will test positive for E Coli. So, a well went in before I sunk a bunch of money into this place.

I find that so interesting and I decided to do a bit more reading about and I came across this old forum about springs and all kinds of other stuff with living off the grid and things of that nature and just wanted to share with you. clancey

For 70 years or so the spring was used for house water. I drilled a well in 2018. It is difficult to sell a house on a spring due to most people needing financing. Spring water generally will test positive for E Coli. So, a well went in before I sunk a bunch of money into this place.
What was the cost to drill the well?how deep?I had one drilled at my cabin in 2012.was 205 ft deep.10600.00 all in including pump and plumbed to house below frost line.2 blocks away they are 50 deep and a block behind me almost 300.funny how the water table is.

Mine is 520', 8" pipe and about 18K. I hired someone to dig trenches. I placed my own water lines, and back filled myself. The pump and pipe was a little over 4k. I think I have a little over 1200" of 250 psi poly in the ground at 42" depth. The total water system was about 30K. That includes 2 concrete buried 2100 gallon cisterns. The 30k is for spring and well both.