Defiant 1945 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddymac

Feb 18, 2014
Placerville Ca
Hello all. I'm a new poster to this site but a lifelong stove user and joined to see if anyone can offer an opinion on my situation.

I recently purchased a VC Defiant 1945. It's unfired and its the Bordeaux red. An absolutely beautiful stove. In its past, someone began robbing parts off it. The only reason I can figure someone would remove parts from a brand new stove like this is that the UL plate was removed. The seller said something about the previous owner having two of them and combined them into one. This one may have been parted for not having the UL plate. Just guessing on all that. All that was missing was the lower fireback, the cat, the bottom grate, and a few screws and handles.

Just wondering how important that UL plate is, and is it possible to find a "replacement". (I know those are stove-specific, and that the insurance company may deny your claim if you have a house fire and were using a non-UL labeled stove.)

Any thoughts?

The manual is available on the VC site and should have the UL listing noted in it. That should satisfy anybody that requires it for inspection, insurance etc.

The manual is available here too:

www.fergusonfireplace.com/1945.pdf

"The Defiant Model #1945 has been tested and is listed by Canadian Standards Association (CSA). The test standards
are ANSI/UL-1482 and ANSI/UL-737 for the United States, and ULC S627 and CAN/CSA-B366.2 for Canada."

Status
Not open for further replies.