Defiant and Vigilant Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

STJP

May 20, 2015
North Carolina
Hi to everyone.

Way back in the 1980s and certainly pre-1993 I bought a Vigilant which I used to heat a small home. Soon after I bought a Defiant. I've used them both and know the kind of heat they can generate. The Defiant has had relatively few fires in it, used very little. The Vigilant probably should be rebuilt and needs the flue connector which bolts vertical or horizontal as the exisiting one is damamged. I have had these stored (poorly as they have surface rust) for over 20 years and want to use them. The way the stoves are currently stored I can't take useful pictures to post.

I am building a garage/office and will put the Defiant in the garage (28 x 30) area. Am having a triple flue installed to extend through the roof.

Once when moving the Defiant, the thermoststat door was lost and I also need the oval to 8" round flue adapter. I think these are available at http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/ and maybe Ebay.

Is there a question in all this?? I was wondering what can be learned from the Serial Number on the plate attached to the stove back. Is it possible to accurately determine manufacture date by the SN? My number is 029994. Is this a Defiant I or II? BTW It has a cast iron thermostat spring cover. I saw that come up somewhere in regards to model.

Hope these pictures come through.
IMG_20161112_155000944.jpg IMG_20161112_155010776.jpg

Thanks for any information you may be able to provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defiant II definitely. They were made from about 1982-1986. The better one to have I think, not because they work better but because they're a bit easier to work on. Just my humble opinion.

If you have difficulty getting parts let me know. I don't know if those flappers are made anymore, but I have like a dozen used ones.

Thanks defiant3, appreciate your response. I may just take you up on the flapper offer. I may have found one online, but I'd rather buy it from a stove person! Was there a particular "thing" in the picture that was diagnostic for a Defiant II?

When my garage is complete in mid December I will move my Defiant and Vigilant there and will have means to lift, move, etc. I don't know that the Defiant needs any more than a good cleaning inside and out for inspection, some paint to make pretty and protect, and a repaired thermostat door. I'm looking at ICC ULTRBlack double wall stove pipe. They even make a double wall, oval to round 8" adapter for the Defiant!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, very appreciated.

STJP

You're welcome. Cast cover on the thermostat says D II, the D I's had just a sheet metal cover which allowed a view of the bi-metal coil.
Anything you need, let me know. Happy heating!!

Hi again defiant3 and forum members,

I am finally to the point where I am moving my Defiant 30 miles to my new garage. I am having DuraVent double wall flue installed. I am building the support for the ceiling box and having all the rest installed by a local chimney installer with experience installing Class A in Morton Buildings. In the picture taken before concrete was poured, I am installing in that back corner. I will install some shielding and the stove will just be on the concrete floor. I will post pictures of the install and completed product.

My big deal is moving the stove and of course I have some questions. The stove is currently sitting on a dolly without its legs. What length, size etc bolts are needed to properly install the legs
IMG_20170221_113132961 - Copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang I hit the wrong button and posted before I said Thank You to anyone responding. Thank You, STJP
defiant3, do you still have thermostat assembly you may want to sell re our conversation here last November?

STJP

Hi all,

I apologize for the convoluted post yesterday.

I am requesting help in determining the bolt size necessary when attaching the legs on a Defiant II. I want to attach the legs right the first time and assume figuring bolt size under a Defiant may not be fun.

I am also looking for a good used thermostat "flap" to purchase for this stove. I think I have found one online new, but
it doesn't seem new would be necessary.

If anyone wants to come to NC and move this stove 30 miles and attach legs and set in place just for fun, let me know:).

Thank you for any help provided.

STJP