Defiant - clearance/mantel design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattyrayb

Aug 12, 2013
MD
Hello all,
I've been doing an aweful lot of reading on this site before I pull the trigger. Thanks to all.

I'm looking to install a wood stove in the area where the prefab fireplace is now. I'll pull it out as did another member on the forum but instead of closing up the wall I'd leave the boxed in area.
It sounds like the proper thing to do is to pull out the existing flue and replace it with a Class A type.

I came across this today and wanted to know if this was the right pipe before I buy it at a steal of a price.
Is this right?

I may have to get more sections, but it's a good start.

Thanks.

Attachments

• pipe.JPG
    pipe.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 323
What makes this difficult is that many pre-fab fireplaces have combustibles built in them. Keeping any part of the original structure could make it difficult to install a stove that meets all clearance requirements.

I think a pic of what you are trying to do, and some measurements showing what you are removing might be helpful to get you a better response.

pen

The idea is from another member (southbalto) who did this. My structure looks the same as his, but instead of closing up the wall like he did, I want to just put durock on the inside of the opening, put stone inside, and put the stove halfway or so in the opening. I haven't pulled the unit out yet, but I'd imagine the inside looks very similar to his. Check his out.
I just want to make sure this is same/similar flue.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/castine-install-loads-of-pictures.45247/

That sounds like you are making an alcove for the stove to sit in. What stove are you looking at? The manual should state how close the ceiling can be above the stove for an alcove (I just looked up the 2400 regency and that is 7 feet)

http://www.regency-fire.com/Files/Manuals/F2400-918-154.aspx

pen

I was looking at the vermont casting, defiant.
It looks like a I need 8' ceiling height.

It also looks like, since my unit would be in the center of the wall, half of my living room would be gone. Maybe I should consider Pellet instead.

The pellet room on here has a bunch of very knowledgeable folks that can help you make a plan for a pellet stove.

Good luck.

pen

Hello all,
I'm looking at a defiant right now and I really like the classic look. I'm trying to figure out how this will work in my space taking into consideration the clearances and what not.
Some advice would be terrific.

First, I have a prefab fireplace that I plan to remove and replace with Class A pipe. I see double wall Class A, double wall insulated Class A, and triple wall insulated Class A. Are all Class A okay to use as long as it is UL-103 rated?

Second, I'd like to do something different instead of the stove just sitting out like in the first picture (kids to worry about). Would something like this be okay? (see pics). Basically, I'd pull out the ZC unit and the wall in front of the unit, going up to the ceiling. Then I'd box it in leaving it hollow inside. This would allow the 8' ceiling clearance above. I'd be sure to keep the side clearance also. Then just put a vent (or blower) at the top of the hollow space to allow any trapped heat to escape.

Attachments

• stove2.JPG
    stove2.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 263
  • stove1.JPG
    stove1.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 266
  • stove 3.JPG
    stove 3.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 340
The Defiant is a strongly radiant heater. If you decide that you want to heat with wood consider getting a convective stove for an alcove installation. They will have tighter clearances and most will work with a 7' ceiling height, some with even less.

The Defiant is a strongly radiant heater. If you decide that you want to heat with wood consider getting a convective stove for an alcove installation. They will have tighter clearances and most will work with a 7' ceiling height, some with even less.

The OP had 2 threads going on this topic. I merged them together.

Thanks pen, that helps a lot. Seems like just going simple, with the flue going straight up and no false alcove is a much better plan here. Do a nice hearth, maybe with a stone veneer on the back wall and enjoy.

Sorry about that.

Given the clearance issues. I think I'm going to go with the Enviro Kodiak 1700. Clearance above is only 44" and instead of boxing in around the unit I'm going to just pull out the wall 2/3 the way up and leave it open. I tried to diagram below.

Since I'm a newb I'm verifying stuff a million times, so my plan is to install the stove with the clearances (maybe with heat shield), run 6" black single wall stove pipe up to the 6" Class A (double wall insulated or triple wall) pipe that I'll be installing in the prefab chimney. The Class A will have the 2" clearance from combustibles through the chimney using the metallic noncombustible collars, etc.
Does that all sound good?

Also, both of these are listed to UL-103. So if that's the case, is one of them wrong to use for my interior (prefab chimney) installation?
Double Wall - http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=1
Triple Wall - http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=2

Attachments

• stove4.JPG
    stove4.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 243
Good choice, that is a great stove. I would use the DuraVent double-wall pipe and I would use their DVL, interior double-wall for the connector. It will work better and be safer with closer clearances (6" instead of 18").

PS, consider making the alcove ceiling slightly pitched so that it's higher in the front. That will allow trapped heat to roll out easier.

Awesome, Thanks.

Do I need a Tee if I'm not going planning to install the pipe using a horizontal stretch? I was going to use the 30* to go toward the wall and then 30* back up.

One more question. The class A pipe is coming down the chimney and connecting to the DVL, which will be going at a 45* to the stove.
I should obviously have some type of support for the weight of the class A at the bottom of the chimney but I'm not sure what.

Just these to connect the pipes and to support?

Adapter
http://www.ventingpipe.com/superpro...s-steel-stovepipe-to-chimney-adaptor/p1511200

Support. (This does provide the support I'm looking for right?)
http://www.priceviewer.com/lowes/636435/supervent-6-x-17-78-stainless-steel-chimney-pipe-jsc6dcs

Attachments

• chimney.JPG
    chimney.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 237
Status
Not open for further replies.