Defiant D1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Finally got started on my D1 rebuild, parts are stamped 1977, the same year my log cabin was built, which is kind of cool. The parts stove is a bit more
Confusing, the parts all cross to D1A1, flat 2 pieces fire backs, etc. but are stamped 1983. Somewhere, and I cannot find it, but I read the D1A1 manufacture ended in 1980 and D2 with rounded fire backs picked up from there. Also the damper is different, i plan to dry assemble first as I have had it apart for so long but i am not sure which one i should be using, any suggestions would be appreciated. Stay tuned for the completed stove. My inner baffle i was going to use is warped, so i gave in and ordered another one today, thanks to Woodsman’s Parts Plus for great customer service and good prices.

D9F285B7-7763-414D-934E-7CC8D2227837.jpeg 12C38E7D-289C-4F20-A99B-B7798BB3E091.jpeg 6C2A1A66-CFE8-4DF7-B8EC-AFB51426678B.jpeg 297EC4D9-52DD-4DE2-8DE4-DC72167B3F0F.jpeg 4F8512A0-EF3B-42D2-9680-46AC69143A3E.jpeg 109A0A74-78C4-4096-B230-D00C4FE8C34B.jpeg E2A01EB6-8488-483D-B81D-EE7FA3B7ACCA.jpeg 19CD53F7-57AE-49B6-8F86-CE4DF805FD31.jpeg

haven't done a switch to a two piece fireback but my fireback looks a little different. on the intake holes i have a few fins (for lack of a better word) between a few air holes so that the wood does not cover them when they are burning down.

now if i not mistaken the 83 84 year that you have if you swap the one piece fireback to a two piece fireback you will need the left side of the stove from the 83 84 stove and this one i could be wrong but also the left door. and if you did what i did and use some flat gasket around the damper door and insert some flat gasket around the damper rod from one side to the other along with a brick on the right side floor just under the secondary manifold and make sure the the secondary manifold is sealed up against the baffle so all the air pressure goes where it's suppose to it should be just about smokeless building a fire up against the baffle. the brick is for protecting the bottom of the right side and it helps holding temperature in the secondary fire chamber so when you stuff more wood in it if your fast enough it should light right back up. this has worked well for me.

haven't done a switch to a two piece fireback but my fireback looks a little different. on the intake holes i have a few fins (for lack of a better word) between a few air holes so that the wood does not cover them when they are burning down.

now if i not mistaken the 83 84 year that you have if you swap the one piece fireback to a two piece fireback you will need the left side of the stove from the 83 84 stove and this one i could be wrong but also the left door. and if you did what i did and use some flat gasket around the damper door and insert some flat gasket around the damper rod from one side to the other along with a brick on the right side floor just under the secondary manifold and make sure the the secondary manifold is sealed up against the baffle so all the air pressure goes where it's suppose to it should be just about smokeless building a fire up against the baffle. the brick is for protecting the bottom of the right side and it helps holding temperature in the secondary fire chamber so when you stuff more wood in it if your fast enough it should light right back up. this has worked well for me.
I have the end plates and side door from the donor stove. The only difference I could discern is the 77 had a full length groove to engage the fire back and the 82 has little tabs . S to your flat gasket, are you gluing it to the stove body? And inserting a piece under the hinge of the damper dry and loose? As to the brick i am kind of lost also, does this go up against the baffle support leg ? Does it go crossways in the baffle opening? I am sort of lost.

i have gasket glued to the stove top. it still closes fine. as far as the the hinge i slid it under and after it moved on me i glued it to (cement) i can't remember where i glued but a spot that doesn't move with the rod. as far as the tabs go i never ran into that cuz i haven't gone to the two piece fireback yet i myself am looking for a doner stove. to buy all the parts to convert it two a two part fireback. brand new the parts are way to expensive.

without the flat gasket around the rod it smoked a tiny bit. i put flat gasket everywhere that it might leak smoke. i only have a nine foot outside chimney from where the connector pipe goes into it to the top of the chimney. so i needed as much chimney as i could get.

the brick you can slide in when the stove is complete slide it past the baffle into the the spot up against the far right side of the stove just underneath the secondary manifold. it actually takes more than one brick. i am thinking i might put brick above the manifold also just have to do it when i pull the top of the stove off and come up with a way that it won't fall off and block the passage.

i also should say that i gasketed the fireback in those grooves that it sat. so all the air and smoke goes under the baffle and thru the secondary oxygen for reburn.

the manual says that if you need emergency heat meaning a hotter fire run it as a updraft stove and not a downdraft like when in secondary, but i found if you do all the above and run it as a secondary burn it throws massive heat and will do better on what they call the long burn and will throw massive heat. i'm running this stove in a 1440 square foot ranch and can over heat the place easy with this stove

not sure what you mean by these screens. as far as i know there is only one screen and that is the channel that runs along the fireback from the 1 inch round hole on the left side of the stove with a cover to the secondary manifold horizontally across the fireback back. the screen is shaped like a v with a shelve on each top section. it is shaped like that to take the expansion of the fireback so that it keeps the air flow for the secondary oxygen supply separated from the primary oxygen. oh ya the other screen is a screen that is put in place of the front doors to make a fireplace if you wanted.

not sure what you mean by these screens. as far as i know there is only one screen and that is the channel that runs along the fireback from the 1 inch round hole on the left side of the stove with a cover to the secondary manifold horizontally across the fireback back. the screen is shaped like a v with a shelve on each top section. it is shaped like that to take the expansion of the fireback so that it keeps the air flow for the secondary oxygen supply separated from the primary oxygen. oh ya the other screen is a screen that is put in place of the front doors to make a fireplace if you wanted.
Seems to be 2 of these screens, are they something special or just hardware store screen or hardware cloth?

3F7ED4A1-4A97-4FF0-96D2-01C302B6735E.jpeg

Nothing special, just a metal screen like on a window, it just acts as a bit of reinforcing to help form the refractory and casting into a tube that runs from the left side of the stove to the right side secondary combustion chamber. It is definitely a weak point of the design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoney Meadow Maple