Defiant damper problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

groadious

Nov 22, 2008
upstate NY
I have a new (this season) VC Defiant. i have noticed many times that the damper door handle opens all by itself. this is okay if you are right there, but bad if you are asleep or out. Any ideas if there are adjustment to make. I have it "wired" shut for saftey, but that is not the answer.

Also not getting anywhere near the burn time expected. I have to put 2 logs in every 2/3 hours, and when i really load it at night the wood is gone by 3 am (loading at 10PM). It is using wood like its going out of style!!!!!!!!

let me hear your thoughts, please! Thanks

We have the same stove. The damper should snap to a locked position. The owners manuel will explain
any adjustments. I like our stove. We get a solid 8 hrs. of burn time. The griddle temp. is still at 400 plus
and a good bed of coals. This is our first year heating with wood. I sure found alot of drafts in the house.
In the Adks huh.

You might need a new gasket in there.

We also have the same stove. After I swing the damper closed, I need to really give it another tug to "lock" it into place. When it is completely closed, the damper handle points near horizontally to the front of the stove. I'm not certain, but this may be the problem.

As for burn time...what are your temps when it's burning? If you're getting really high temps: 700 or more, there could be a leak in the gaskets. Check the ash pan seal first with the dollar bill test. If your stove is leaky, you're burning too much too fast.

First is it a Non Cat Defiant (1610) or Catalytic (1945). As stated earlier, you must pull forward from the close position on the damper handle to the lock position - it will "snap" into lock position. You should have a magnetic surface thermometer on the griddle and a probe abour 24" above the top of the stove in the smoke pipe. Both are quite cheap (10-25$) and the the probe is very easy to install. This tells the complete story when trying to figure out what is wrong. Burn time is too short. It could be the wood you are using. More likely it is a leak down low the appliance. Check the door and ash door gaskets with a dollar bill (close on the bill and pull - little resistance means gasket problem). The right door may need adjusting to sit properly over the left door for a good seal. This means backing off the two hinge plates on the back of the right door and pivoting the door for a better fit over the left door. Gasket may also be removed along a short stretch that is not sealing and new gasket put in bunched up for a thicker presence or shimmed with a smaller gasket. also check the damper gasket. If it is not sealing or compromised, flue gases will escape through the plate when in the bypass mode and inflate vent temperatures, decrease burn time and also produce a dirty smoke burn. Any more tips will depend on the model type.

That should not happen! It is interesting that the control lever when closed points horizontally, I have seen four of these stoves (mine & three in showrooms) & when closed they all point in the 4:30 position. My stove is still hot from last night but I believe there is a bolt right dead center of the damper try tightening that. Also, the easiest way to enter that back area is by disconnecting your flue pipe & removing the collar. I know it is a hassle but in needs to be done at least once a season for cleaning anyhow.

I'm sorry for the misinformation, diabel is right - the closed damper is in a 4:20 position. Shows you what I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.