Defiant Encore (model 2190) damper not sealing with new gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Steven_R

Nov 20, 2022
Maryland
I am rebuilding my Defiant Encore (2190) and put most of it together today, including the upper fireback, fireback and inner sides.

I replaced the damper seal with rope from a kit from Woodman's (SKU: 3419). The size it supplied is 5/16, as is called out in the VC manual.

The damper does not look like it will seal well. With a flashlight inside the stove, I can see light shining past the top edge of the damper when looking in through the back. The damper is held in place only by gravity and when closed (damper up) and there is very little pressure against the seal. If I lightly press my finger against the damper, it looks like it closes properly.

Both the the fireback and the upper fireback look like they are in good condition and not warped.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven

Don't know what you mean by it being held by gravity. my stove is an Encore 0028 and the damper is activated by a lever on the left side of the stove. It is all mechanical linkage with a steel rod that attaches to the back of the damper and holds it tight in place. Mine wouldn't seal correctly as the tabs on the end were bent slightly allowing the damper to drop a little where it pivots.

@Eman85 Thanks for the tip. I took the tabs off and looked at them and they are all fine.

With the damper loose, I ran my finger around the gasket. It is not even, including a couple of spots were it is kind of bunched up a bit. I think this keeps the damper from sealing. I will redo that gasket. (Maybe I should fire the first worker).

I removed my damper to install the gasket, made it easier working on the bench.