VC defiant encore not burning like is used to

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pilotmuffin

Nov 16, 2022
Maine
Hello all. I've been searching this site all summer and haven't found anything like the issue I'm having.
Picked up a defiant encore (0028) last year and it ran like an absolute beauty all last winter. Even burning white pine and fairly green oak I never had an issue keeping it going all night.
The end of last season I pulled the catalyst as the previous owner said it was a few years old. It was caked with ash and almost completely blocked. I vacuumed it off and put it back. In the process I noticed the refractory was pretty rough. I also had to adjust the damper. The tabs on the sides are kind of a bad design but whatever.
My problem now is that the stove will run hot (600-650 griddle temp) even with everything closed. the damper didn't seal tightly but I've almost fixed that. In the process I found there is a gap above the upper fireback/ damper assembly. Is this normal? Did something break loose? Do I need a new refractory assembly.
I really liked how the stove ran last year and would love to keep it even if I have to put some money into it.

What is your cat temp running now? Your STT running high may mean you have a leak in the damper gasket. I would check that first to make sure it's in good order and sealing properly. Not sure about the gap above the fireback. There should not be a way for any gases/smoke to get out save for through the damper or down and up through the combuster.

What is your cat temp running now? Your STT running high may mean you have a leak in the damper gasket. I would check that first to make sure it's in good order and sealing properly. Not sure about the gap above the fireback. There should not be a way for any gases/smoke to get out save for through the damper or down and up through the combuster.
How and where would I measure the cat temp?

How and where would I measure the cat temp?
In the back of the stove just below the cat cover panel there is a small metal plug. If you remove that plug you can insert a temp probe into the cat chamber through the refractory lining. I burned my 0028 for years and never had a cat temp probe. I just installed a thermocouple sensor this year and I can see the temperature rise when the cat activates.
What shape are your gaskets on the ash pan and the doors? Back panel bolts in with 4 bolts. What gap do you mean?

In the back of the stove just below the cat cover panel there is a small metal plug. If you remove that plug you can insert a temp probe into the cat chamber through the refractory lining. I burned my 0028 for years and never had a cat temp probe. I just installed a thermocouple sensor this year and I can see the temperature rise when the cat activates.
What shape are your gaskets on the ash pan and the doors? Back panel bolts in with 4 bolts. What gap do you mean?
Ash pan, doors, flue collar, and damper all have new gaskets.
The gap is there the upper fireback just above the damper meets the top of the stove.
Is it possible there is supposed to be cement in there and I vacuumed it out (old and dry?) I haven't seen any indication that there shouldn't be a fiberglass gasket there.

Stove's got a fire in it right now so it's hard to see. I opened the doors and looked up there and I'm not sure what you mean. The fireback has the damper opening in it and above that I can see where the top mounts and there is cement up there. I've never pulled mine but I think the fireback has a gasket on it.

This is looking inside from the front doors. The white at the top is from a flashlight inside the flue collar.
The manual shows a gasket on the sides but not the top.
20221116_172650.jpg

Ok, so I've been looking closer and it looks like my lower fireback is definitely warped. It bows in to where the catalyst is. My bottom grate is also warped. I never knew it was supposed to be flat.
Looks like I'll be buying some parts.

I let the fire die out and snapped some pics of the top/back of my stove. There's a you tube video of someone that rebuilt an Encore that had a warped fireback.
20221117_144436_resized.jpg
20221117_144443_resized.jpg
20221117_144453_resized.jpg