Defiant Flexburn Non-Catalytic/Catalytic Wood burning stove model 1975 w/glass doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lemmerot

Nov 14, 2023
B00ger#3436
I’ve seen many posts about Defiant 1975s and people saying it doesn’t come with glass doors. And that if you install glass doors, they would probably blacken up pretty quick with no airwash system. Our 1975 model did come with glass doors. But they do seem to blacken up pretty good with every burn. We’re pretty vigilant about proper burn temps, etc. So, I’m guessing maybe even this model we have that came with glass doors, has no airwash system? No mention of it in the manual, so assuming that’s true. Was just looking for confirmation from an expert, and if there is anything that can be done to keep the doors from blacking up so much? Such a hassle to clean after every burn.

I’ve seen many posts about Defiant 1975s and people saying it doesn’t come with glass doors. And that if you install glass doors, they would probably blacken up pretty quick with no airwash system. Our 1975 model did come with glass doors. But they do seem to blacken up pretty good with every burn. We’re pretty vigilant about proper burn temps, etc. So, I’m guessing maybe even this model we have that came with glass doors, has no airwash system? No mention of it in the manual, so assuming that’s true. Was just looking for confirmation from an expert, and if there is anything that can be done to keep the doors from blacking up so much? Such a hassle to clean after every burn.

So one thing that you can do is burn hot. For example after an overnight burn when I wake up Ill get the stove hot and burn the glass clean.

When you turn your air back it should be expected to some degree to have dark glass as your smoldering the fire to a degree. This also happens to BKs. Im not super Familiar with your stove maybe @begreen can help