Defiant stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gibs103

Jun 15, 2018
Valley Falls, NY
Hey experts . . . I have a stove I would like to sell but before I post it to my local craigslist I am wondering if anyone can educate me on what it may be worth. I am attaching some pictures. It has a couple legs that need to be bolted back on and it’s missing the 4th leg. Not sure what else I should be looking for or noting. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• B42523ED-3CF0-4A82-AEC0-BA9BDFFB2FC0.jpeg
    B42523ED-3CF0-4A82-AEC0-BA9BDFFB2FC0.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 377
  • 41EBED73-4A50-4B12-BFAF-40FC0ECA0016.jpeg
    41EBED73-4A50-4B12-BFAF-40FC0ECA0016.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 357
  • A2D72015-C2DE-4646-B540-1F278B659704.jpeg
    A2D72015-C2DE-4646-B540-1F278B659704.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 367
Sleeping beauty lost a leg. Looks like the thermostatic air control may be squished too by lying on its back. If so, it can't be sold as a working stove so maybe $2-300.

A key to the value is the condition of the back wall of the fire box and if it is two piece or one piece fireback. Open up the front doors and look for horizontal seam running right to left about 10" up. If there is no seam its an early defiant. Most likely if its early defiant the fire back is cracked or distorted. Although parts ca be purchased to convert it, its not worth it as the parts exceed the stoves ultimate value. The later two piece fire backs also can be overheated and distorted. Parts to replace cost less but it requires partial disassembly of the stove. Realistically its highly likely that the stove needs resealing and that requires disassembly, cleaning of the joints and resealing. For first timer its 4 to 8 hour project. The surface is covered with rust,most folks would want to clean it. It looks like like light surface rust that should be wire brushed and then painted with stove paint.If there is any dep rust its needs sandblasting and painting.

At best a good used working defiant without major issues sell in the $400 to $600 range. There are of course uneducated folks who may pay more but the reality is there are still reasonably priced EPA stoves that are more efficient that arent that much more expensive if you need to buy parts for the Defiant. The positive for a Defiant is it can burn less than optimally dried wood although it will have to burn it with the bypass open. Good for hunting camp as it does throw off a lot of heat.

By the limited photos, IMHO, its really not worth the hassle to fix, so your best hope is to sell it to the rare buyer that just have to have a Defiant or someone uneducated (AKA a sucker).