define "overfire"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cncpro

Jun 29, 2008
NE Connecticut, USA
I see in my Quad CB1200 manual that if any external part of the stove turns red you are overfiring it... Holy CRAP ! :bug: I can't imagine how hot it would have to be to make the outside of the stove red...

Does anybody have a better guideline for what to shoot for as far as flame height or any other relevant criteria ?

For example... Is it OK if the flame is regularly in contact with the angled back/top area above/behind the burn pot ?

cncpro said:
.....For example... Is it OK if the flame is regularly in contact with the angled back/top area above/behind the burn pot ?

Sounds pretty high to me, but if you're running it on High all the time, maybe......

Most pics and videos I've seen of pellet flames seem to be about 1/2 way between burn pot and top of firebox (heat exchange tube area).

I had an overfire once in my wood stove.....the flue outlet on top of the stove where it connected to the stovepipe was glowing red....scared the %$#@ out of me.

My CB1200 manual states 4-6 inches on high. 4 in would be as high as half way up the pellet chute, 6 inches would be hitting the angle plate.

I just looked at my Quadra DVD, shows too small fire and too large, really good video of fire.

add only enough pellets so you can start stove but still be able to adjust feed rod......with blower motor on high,fire stove....make 1/8 in. adjustments to feed rod until you achieve an active flame that hovers 4 in. above firepot....flame should resemble a blowtorch....run at this setting for 5- 15 min....if it stays constant, your good to go.....pellets vary,buy in bulk the ones you like....less adjustments....

cncpro said:
I see in my Quad CB1200 manual that if any external part of the stove turns red you are overfiring it... Holy CRAP ! :bug: I can't imagine how hot it would have to be to make the outside of the stove red...

Does anybody have a better guideline for what to shoot for as far as flame height or any other relevant criteria ?

For example... Is it OK if the flame is regularly in contact with the angled back/top area above/behind the burn pot ?

Your stove should shut itself down long before any part of it would ever turn red.

Since pellets are metered into the stove at a specific rate it would take a fairly big failure to overfire a pellet stove. Like Liter said the high limit switches should activate and cut fuel supply long before an overfire situation is reached in a pellet stove.

I used to worry about the same thing. I also have a CB 1200 freestanding. I went crazy adjusting it too and now I just run it on high. My stove runs in the 4 - 6" range and sometimes it goes a little higher for a brief period. I've never had any problems and like the others said it would shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.