degrees of moisture levels in a stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
Are certian areas on a stack generally drier or seasoned better or quicker than others ? The top compared to the middle or the bottom ?

Depends on the area but I find that there is about a two foot blanket of moisture gradient on the ground. The closer to the ground, the more the moisture. In reality there is a much larger gradient of moisture that you can often see on tall metal structures like lattice towers but I doubt you will stack your woodpile over 50 feet.

After today's 40+mph gusts during the torrential rain we got blew part of my well weighted tarp off, the top 2 feet of my stack is the wettest. Aside from that, I agree with LLigetfa. Normally, the tops and outer edges are the driest.

Tops.
I have my stacks top covered.

Bottoms of the stacks tend to stay wet longer from wind driven rain than closer to the cover that stays relatively drier.

There may be a bit less wind closer to the ground, too.
Plus the ground has to evaporate after every rain, too.

I know from sailing there can be quite a bit more wind higher aloft than at sea level.

Status
Not open for further replies.