Dehaven & Co Stove Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HarveyH

Nov 14, 2021
Lyndon, NY
Hello. I recently purchased a Dehaven Junior Cinderella stove. The previous owner had never used it so couldn't explain how the parts at the bottom of the "firebox" work. One picture shows a grate, a plate and something I can't figure out. The grate fits at the bottom and the little handle comes out the side hole. It's not very stable though, easily tilting side to side and falling into the ash pan. The plate fits above the grate and prevents air flow through the grate. I don't know what the third object does. Can anyone explain this please?

20211113_154703.jpg 20211113_154647.jpg 20211113_154628.jpg 20211111_150256.jpg

Hello. I recently purchased a Dehaven Junior Cinderella stove. The previous owner had never used it so couldn't explain how the parts at the bottom of the "firebox" work. One picture shows a grate, a plate and something I can't figure out. The grate fits at the bottom and the little handle comes out the side hole. It's not very stable though, easily tilting side to side and falling into the ash pan. The plate fits above the grate and prevents air flow through the grate. I don't know what the third object does. Can anyone explain this please?

View attachment 285400 View attachment 285401 View attachment 285402 View attachment 285403
It is a coal stove the grate and handle are to shake coal ashes down. The plate looks like a burner plate

Thanks. So the grate is not supposed to be blocked off with the plate? Would you be able to burn wood in it?
Someone was probably trying to burn wood in it using the plate to slow the burn. You can burn wood in it but it is never going to work very well at all

One more quest if I may. Is burning wood not going to work well because it will burn too quickly and/or for some other reasons?
It will burn to quickly yes and waste tons of heat out the chimney.

Ok. Thanks again.
And another question. Why are there three ways to let air in? There is one on the bottom door which provides access to the ash tray and would provide air below the grate at the bottom of the firebox. The second is on the firebox door and has very small holes. The third just below where the flue comes off. Thanks

20211121_154540.jpg 20211121_154600.jpg

This looks like a combo coal/wood stove. When burning wood the bottom air would be for starting the fire, then closed. The middle air is for controlling the fire and the upper air is a basic attempt at reburn or secondary combustion. When burning coal, the top air would be closed off and the bottom air would be used to keep the coal burning.

Is there a baffle above where the top air enters?

This looks like a combo coal/wood stove. When burning wood the bottom air would be for starting the fire, then closed. The middle air is for controlling the fire and the upper air is a basic attempt at reburn or secondary combustion. When burning coal, the top air would be closed off and the bottom air would be used to keep the coal burning.

Is there a baffle above where the top air enters?

And another question. Why are there three ways to let air in? There is one on the bottom door which provides access to the ash tray and would provide air below the grate at the bottom of the firebox. The second is on the firebox door and has very small holes. The third just below where the flue comes off. Thanks

View attachment 286039 View attachment 286040
The upper intakes are used to introduce air inorder to burn off coal gas. But the ones in the door would be best to use with wood. The ones at the flue collar are most likely used to control draft.

I'm confused. The upper intakes and the ones at the flue collar are the same.
What I am calling the upper intakes are the ones in the door. I guess I should have said middle intakes there.