Removing Jotul F500 stove top for cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bee man86

Oct 13, 2022
Fallbrook Ontario
Hey folks,

I'm new to the Hearth and joined to learn more about my wood stove. Have a few questions.

We just moved to this home and it is heated primarily by a Jotul F500 v2 non catalytic stove. We had a local dealer come to clean and inspect the stove. They said it was in good working order and ready to go but the cast grate had warped. It's now arched up, likely a result of the previous owner cracking the ash door to get the fire going and forgetting it.

I burned last week for three days and decided to clean it today before the cold returns and to get an idea about what's in there and see about some of the criticisms of the unit.

I discovered the vermiculate plate above the burner pipes and the cloth insulation and found a good inch or more of ash sitting on it. I would have thought this should have been taken care of during the service cleaning

I also investigated the common issue of the sticking air vent control, ( mine sticks and I'll get some graphite spray to fix it)l and on dismantling found it full of ash as well as the air channels either side of it.

I wanted to remove the stove top to get a good look and clean. It seems that for my model there are 2 screws that are accessed at the front inside but the third one requires removal of the flue from the back? I think that means removal of the heat shield as well - a bit awkward. I ended up lifting and pushing back the vermiculate plate and pulling mat off, cleaning it, replacing it and sliding the plate back in place.

1. Should these areas have been cleaned as part of the service?
2. Is there a video showing the removal of the stove top to access the plate and cloth insulation above the burner tubes? I've read descriptions of the procedure but a video would be so much better, (for me).
3. The vermiculate plate is deteriorating a little bit at the back left side leaving 1/8" gap between it and the ledge at the back of the stove. I presume it isn't supposed to be a tight fit.

I'm sure I learn easier ways to do things as I go along.

My last wood stove experience was our Vermont Casting Defiant stove that I drove to the factory in Vermont to pick up for my dad in 1978 - before they were ebven in Canada - but that's another story. LOL

Reactions: Todd
You’d think they would vacuum that fly ash out as part of the service. Did they sweep the chimney?

I’ve seen a few videos on YouTube for servicing the V3, it may be similar to yours with the exception of the cat. There are also some threads on here for the F500 service.

You’d think they would vacuum that fly ash out as part of the service. Did they sweep the chimney?

I’ve seen a few videos on YouTube for servicing the V3, it may be similar to yours with the exception of the cat. There are also some threads on here for the F500 service.
Yes, they did do the chimney. I wasn't watching so I don't know how he accessed it with out taking the stove top off. I can't believe an inch of fly ash would build up after 3 days burning. I had to point out the creosote caked in the cap and then they went up on the roof and knocked it out. They weren't going to check it initially. They also should have used a much larger floor cover inside as my wife walked down there later in her socks and the soles turned black. She had to wash the floors. Very nice people to deal with but not happy with the quality of service. Fortunately we don't have furniture down there yet.

I've seen a few videos on the V3. The stove top is easier to get off and access the area above the fire box.

I'll check the threads you suggested. Thank you.

Reactions: Todd