Delivered logs , pricing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

webfish

Hearth.com LLC
Staff member
Oct 18, 2013
Minnesota
I have never bought any wood. Always on craiglist or facebook and scrounge. I was looking to supplement this year because of bad knee. I just can't do as much. Getting quote for about 4 cords and length 4'-14'. Not sure type yet but I am only interested in hardwoods. Wondering what pricing is looking like out there. I know it may be regional as well. Thanks.

Reactions: patrickk222
Here in southern ME the cost is about $1100-1200 for a truck load of logs.

I have never bought any wood. Always on craiglist or facebook and scrounge. I was looking to supplement this year because of bad knee. I just can't do as much. Getting quote for about 4 cords and length 4'-14'. Not sure type yet but I am only interested in hardwoods. Wondering what pricing is looking like out there. I know it may be regional as well. Thanks.
Around here it's now between 800 and 1000 for a triaxle log truck load of mixed hardwood logs.

My neighbor, the logger, get $800 for a triaxle load. That's 6-8 cords.

20221012_162819_HDR.jpg

I can get a 5-6 cord delivery for about $400 of mixed hardwoods. Pine is $100 a truck. I have another guy who will drop 2 cords for $100 which is nice when I don't need as much. I live smack dab in the middle of a thick deciduous area though so hardwoods are very prevalent hence the low pricing.

Even at $800 for 5 cords that's still a great deal if you can afford it and much less work than scrounging everything or the danger that comes with felling. Its delivered right to your processing area and ready to go.

This load was $400 in 2021:

1611170473682.jpg

Reactions: Split and webfish
If you have immediate need, best to call a log truck. Slam dunk.

But if you expect that need to continue and have more flexibility, it's not bad to get your name in with local tree companies. There are a few times per year that one local tree guy will call me, just looking for a convenient place to dump a load, close to where he's working. It saves him from having to haul several loads back to his home base, and it costs me nothing.

If I'm not already overstocked myself, I let him dump here, which might be 2-3 of his single-axle dump truck loads in a single day. Get your name in with a few of them, and they could probably keep you flush with free wood, if your schedule is flexible and you have a spot for them to dump.

If you have immediate need, best to call a log truck. Slam dunk.

But if you expect that need to continue and have more flexibility, it's not bad to get your name in with local tree companies. There are a few times per year that one local tree guy will call me, just looking for a convenient place to dump a load, close to where he's working. It saves him from having to haul several loads back to his home base, and it costs me nothing.

If I'm not already overstocked myself, I let him dump here, which might be 2-3 of his single-axle dump truck loads in a single day. Get your name in with a few of them, and they could probably keep you flush with free wood, if your schedule is flexible and you have a spot for them to dump.
+1. The log truck I was referring to above is a local tree guy and so is my other 2 cords guy. I just give him a call and he usually procures what I want within the next week or two. He'll just drop it off in his way home from the job.

It might take some effort calling and you'll get a lot of rejections but it's worth checking out. I remember when I first moved here I called 20 tree companies within 15 miles and got 2 takers. You never know!

Reactions: Ashful
Tri axle log truck (yield approx 6-7 cords) is about $550 here in NWNJ on average, the problem is that some of these guys claim 10 cords from the same truck and when you say a certain diameter, there eyes are bigger then yours, I once said I can take up to 24" got a bunch of 36" lengths lol.
After a storm is the best time to call, sometimes in the heat of the moment a company will just drop off a load at a min charge (leave a good tip for the driver though)

Tri axle log truck (yield approx 6-7 cords) is about $550 here in NWNJ on average, the problem is that some of these guys claim 10 cords from the same truck and when you say a certain diameter, there eyes are bigger then yours, I once said I can take up to 24" got a bunch of 36" lengths lol.
After a storm is the best time to call, sometimes in the heat of the moment a company will just drop off a load at a min charge (leave a good tip for the driver though)
+1 on this, too. I have an 18" saw and I will specify nothing bigger than 24" simply because it's too hard to process but I'll end up with a few 30"+. I consider it the price of doing business and just slog through the big ones.

If you get on a regular basis with someone they'll know your preferences and over time you'll end up with better loads.

I guess that's one advantage of paying for it, if they let you specify a max diameter. Although I really don't know how they can control it, unless they're driving the wood back to their HQ to re-sort between the job site and your house.

When I get a load delivered, it's free, but it's whatever diameter they were cutting that day. Most is under 24", but I've also gotten a few over 50" diameter. They make a good thud when they slide off the dump truck.

I guess that's one advantage of paying for it, if they let you specify a max diameter. Although I really don't know how they can control it, unless they're driving the wood back to their HQ to re-sort between the job site and your house.

When I get a load delivered, it's free, but it's whatever diameter they were cutting that day. Most is under 24", but I've also gotten a few over 50" diameter. They make a good thud when they slide off the dump truck.
Yeah I just give the guy a heads up early. I think he just collects stuff from various jobs until he had enough for me. I'm a good outlet for him to get rid of stuff the pellet makers and mills don't want etc, he gets a little cash and helps me out at the same time.

But in general I think you're right. You get what you get and ideally they try to keep it the right size. Last time I got the full truck I had them keep a log. Hated to give it away but it was like 40" which is bigger than my ability to handle. Rather than struggle with it I just wrote it off as the cost of business all good. Battling 40"+ with an 18" saw isn't worth it.

Battling 40"+ with an 18" saw isn't worth it.
When I was in my 20's, an older relative gave me the motto, "every project should justify the purchase of at least one new tool." I lived by that for many years, and even still do to some lesser degree. Although big saws are expensive enough that I bought mine second-hand, it was only "new" to me.

Making firewood from logs that size is only fun and novel when you're young, maybe just trying to prove to yourself that you can do it. I've posted photos here in the past of some big ones I cut in my 30's and into my early 40's, a dozen over 40" and one as large as 60", but I cringe when I see logs that big today.

When I was in my 20's, an older relative gave me the motto, "every project should justify the purchase of at least one new tool." I lived by that for many years, and even still do to some lesser degree. Although big saws are expensive enough that I bought mine second-hand, it was only "new" to me.

Making firewood from logs that size is only fun and novel when you're young, maybe just trying to prove to yourself that you can do it. I've posted photos here in the past of some big ones I cut in my 30's and into my early 40's, a dozen over 40" and one as large as 60", but I cringe when I see logs that big today.
I can respect that. Big saws are pushing $700+ now though so it just kills the value of the project. It's an investment for sure but I'd only need it once in a while I'm not there right now. I'm pro second hand tools, most of mine are, but idk about a chainsaw. Too dangerous for my blood I'd prefer new.

I'm not old by any means, I'm 38, but after a major injury last year and currently battling two bad shoulders the fire to take on the giant rounds isn't there. I know I CAN do it but I just don't want to anymore. Why deal with 500lb+ rounds when it's not necessary. Happy to stick within the 12-24" range when possible. I love to process wood but don't need to destroy my body while Im doing it.

My wood guy offers that for about 180 $ now theyre about 9 to 10 ft logs that he hauls around in a big trailer he pulls with his truck i usually get close 2 cords from the block loads he delivers

I can respect that. Big saws are pushing $700+ now though so it just kills the value of the project. It's an investment for sure but I'd only need it once in a while I'm not there right now. I'm pro second hand tools, most of mine are, but idk about a chainsaw. Too dangerous for my blood I'd prefer new.

I'm not old by any means, I'm 38, but after a major injury last year and currently battling two bad shoulders the fire to take on the giant rounds isn't there. I know I CAN do it but I just don't want to anymore. Why deal with 500lb+ rounds when it's not necessary. Happy to stick within the 12-24" range when possible. I love to process wood but don't need to destroy my body while Im doing it.
That injury means you had to get smart sooner than some of us. ;lol There are photos somewhere on this forum of three 1400 lb. white oak rounds (4' dia x 20" long x 63 lb/ft3) sitting in my driveway, when I was about that age.

BTW... you're not getting into a new big saw (eg. MS-661) for less than $1500, really more like $1700 after swapping up to a respectable bar and chains for cutting 40"+ logs. I don't know what used prices are now, but back when I was buying in 2013-14, the minimum you could get into an second-hand 064 or 066 with a new bar and chains was closer to $700. I suspect the equivalently-aged but bloated MS-660's today cost even more, despite having a really poor power/weight ratio, by comparison to its predecessors.

Either way, like you said... not worth it unless you're cutting that size on a regular basis.

That injury means you had to get smart sooner than some of us. ;lol There are photos somewhere on this forum of three 1400 lb. white oak rounds (4' dia x 20" long x 63 lb/ft3) sitting in my driveway, when I was about that age.

BTW... you're not getting into a new big saw (eg. MS-661) for less than $1500, really more like $1700 after swapping up to a respectable bar and chains for cutting 40"+ logs. I don't know what used prices are now, but back when I was buying in 2013-14, the minimum you could get into an second-hand 064 or 066 with a new bar and chains was closer to $700. I suspect the equivalently-aged but bloated MS-660's today cost even more, despite having a really poor power/weight ratio, by comparison to its predecessors.

Either way, like you said... not worth it unless you're cutting that size on a regular basis.
Oh yeah I wouldn't buy a saw that big. I was referring to like a new 24-26". Still a big upgrade over my 18" and could handle the rare 36" log much easier. If I ever got something bigger I'd just have them take it back it's not worth the hassle and injury risk.

Yeah my time of just brute forcing things is over. Time to use the brain my parents invested all that time and money to educate way back when! 🤣

Friend of mine owns a tree service. Was out to dinner with them a few weeks ago, he got out of the firewood business a few years back, but he said that he would drop a load off the next time he gets something in the 24" diameter range. So hoping I get something to process in the next few weeks

Friend of mine owns a tree service. Was out to dinner with them a few weeks ago, he got out of the firewood business a few years back, but he said that he would drop a load off the next time he gets something in the 24" diameter range. So hoping I get something to process in the next few weeks
Free wood? Yes plz. Make sure to tip him well and he'll always come back. I give my guy $100 for 2 cords of logs. Cash talks.

Too big is better than too small for me. It's a real drag to get a load of 6" pecker poles.

I am Splitting by hand so 24" is a good size for me..

It's easy to break up big rounds into manageable chunks by standing them up like a wheel and making "noodling" cuts along the grain with the saw. Cutting this way is super fast, you'll spend more time clearing the long "noodle" chips from the saw than actually cutting. Cut as far down as you can without risking hitting dirt and finish with your favorite splitting implement. I like a splitting maul for this. Wood splits easily in this direction so it usually takes just one blow.

You can use a cant hook to help tilt the rounds up. Or better, do it as you're bucking the tree into rounds. You only need to roll each round out to quarter it.

Reactions: NHWS and Ashful
My neighbor, the logger, get $800 for a triaxle load. That's 6-8 cords.

View attachment 309460
I get log loads from my old neighbor. He stacks allot higher than that load. My last one was almost 10 cords. Mostly nice smaller stuff like the load you showed there. Much easier to work with