delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MtnFolk

Apr 17, 2023
Virginia
Hi, We just purchased a Hearthstone Clydesdale Fireplace insert. I guess we didn't think it all the way through but we're trying to plan how to get it to and then into our house. Our dealer is working on a quote but wondering if there are other thoughts. We have a 1/2 flight stairway into the house. How do people, especially those who are doing their own installation, get the units into the house ? The unit is over 500 pounds and from what I understand, the only think removable are the fire bricks so that doesn't help make it much lighter. How do you move it ? We have an installer ready to go but we need to get it to the fireplace.

4 able bodied persons can lift and move it pretty easily. Then, get wheels on it by ratchet strapping it to a good heavy-duty appliance dolly. Cover it first with a blanket before strapping it to protect the finish.

Inflatable tires on the dolly really help.

Remove the door too.

Pizza and beer can fuel the moving party.

I used one of these to climb stairs in the house with the stove strapped to it.
Get the back of the trolley almost horizontal with one man pulling and one pushing.
Easy as.

Screenshot_20230418_092724_Google.jpg

Inflatable tires on the dolly really help.

Remove the door too.

Pizza and beer can fuel the moving party.
Yes, I have a Milwaukee appliance dolly with inflated tires. It's been a real workhorse.

TIP: Save the beer and pizza until after the insert is in place. It will act as an incentive and save you some anxiety.

Rent a pair of piano moving dollys...make things like this much easier.
But if you have steps then one of those powered stair climbing dollies is the tool for the job...sometimes you can pay the dealer a lil extra to use theirs to haul it in for you. Most have them

Thank you for the advice. Our dealer has agreed to bring it out and has some kind of stair climbing machine and we'll have four people just in case. Very good point on the beer and pizza !

Reactions: brenndatomu