Design questions about a wood stove and piping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
My back porch where I want to put the stove is going to have concrete floor laid over river rock that is there now and I wonder if I could put a brick type of chimney from the floor through the roof that would go the required height for a Morso 1410 (squirrel) wood stove and I would like it to be against the house wall facing the back porch door.going up the required height for this stove...Now this is where it gets complicated--"I want to raise the floor house level and place the stove at this level to make it like a room attached to the back of my house that is level with the house so that I can walk out into it without going down steps in this area. Now I figure that I have about five feet until I need to put steps so that a person can go down those steps and have proper head room to get out of the house. Is this possible or would there be too high of a brick chimney extending through the roof to the outside.

The reason that I want this stove pipe to be in brick is that this area of my house (back area) at times gets lots of heavy wind that I feel would blow a 6 inch stove pipe down and I want this brick chimney with the piping inside to protect it from blowing off the roof. I just at this time want to know if this is possible and would it make it more complicated to clean the piping once a year if I should use the fire stove once in awhile and have it there for emergency purposes if it is needed (complete black out). At this time I am trying to design this area.. Just wondering if this is possible to do at this time?

Picture coming of the back porch and I will try to get better pictures later but this is what we have to work with and the porch is 8 foot from house to front of porch and 10 feet going from the shed wall to the side of the house length wise to the driveway. It is about 95 inches high or so against the wall of the house and about 85 or so to the outside front of the porch. The steps that you see in the picture would not be there for that area would be house level extended out about five feet then they would begin with a railing for safety extending all the way to the end of the house next to the drive way..,The lower part I would have plants for decoration...Just wondering if this is possible and be okay with the stove and chimney? Thank you..clancey

back porch=storage 005.JPG back porch=storage 001.JPG

Last edited:
Properly braced, a stainless chimney is not going to blow down. The height of the chimney will be determined by the 10-3-2 rule and the stove's requirements.

10-3-2 rule.JPG

Well you just scrape "my wonderful Plans"---lol lol.. So does that mean that I would have to have it under the flatter roof at the edge of the drive way side with the vent pipe going straight up and the stove would be in that corner next to the house when the porch area has four inches of concrete and enclosed. That to me would be the only place to put it next to the main housing which is in total a square of 23 feet by 23 feet. The height at that point is 100 inches under that flat roof with four inches of concrete being laid. Could I raise that area 2 feet higher to be level with the house entrance and have it extend out about five feet from the wall. If I do this how high would that stove pipe be in total (are we talking about 14 feet ) with maybe 6 foot inside and 8 feet tall outside.. Is this all fair to think about this ball park figure here so that I can design it and yes I will make a phone call to the installer and ask him to give me a visit.. No chimney--so sad--always wanted a chimney...lol lol..That is a real gusty wind area at certain times of the year and would that affect the draft to the little stove---if this is all possible. I would hate to apply for permits if this is not possible in that particular space.. No chimney I am heartbroken--lol lol..Thanks for the response...Is it possible..? clancey Thanks...

You could do this with brick, but with a short chimney, a properly sized 6" insulated metal chimney will likely work better.

Now that's something to explore and I will make a appointment with the stove installer to visit with me and walk me through this situation and I will let you all know what he says--thanks so much and at least there is a little bit of hope...thanks..clancey.

Now that's something to explore and I will make a appointment with the stove installer to visit with me and walk me through this situation and I will let you all know what he says--thanks so much and at least there is a little bit of hope...thanks..clancey.
It absolutely can be done but you will have quite a bit of chimney sticking up