Deva 100 and Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

akgal

Jul 24, 2022
Alaska
Hi all,

I asked a question on a different thread but can't find it so am not sure if it posted. I have read through a bunch of stuff and still am unsure...so here is the question. Apologies in advance for any repetitiveness!

We are purchasing a Deva 100. I am SO CONFUSED about clearances. Per the two dealers I spoke to, including the one we are purchasing from, we cannot reduce the 14" rear clearance to more than 12" per NFPA 211 codes. The dealer we are purchasing from says that the rear of the Deva also gets very hot.

The Deva manual says "You can reduce the clearances to combustible surfaces by using any National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) approved wall protection system. Please refer to NFPA 211 for specifications and complete details. You can obtain this information directly from NFPA." I've read through the specific section multiple times and I still feel like it is saying we can reduce clearance by x% if we use the right kind of wall protection.

I'd love to reduce clearance, but even more I would love to not burn my house down.

Does anyone have any input? I did try messaging @akbear who has threads on the stove but for some reason I cannot.

Thank you so much!

12" is the lowest clearance allowable with an NFPA 211 shield unless the manufacturer has provided tested, lower clearance figures using this shielding system.

Reactions: akgal