Devil's advocate ponders stove clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RockCastile

Nov 9, 2015
Blue Ridge of Va.
Confession: the hearth protection I have under my Jotul 602 is inadequate as per requirements in manual AND, the nerve of me, I'm scheming about sliding the stove back a couple or three inches too close to the wall. I know I shouldn't. But then I look at that plump, pure wooden knob on the door latch and think, why not? That knob is a mere inch from the front of the stove and attached to the plenty-hot iron latch arm. If Jotul's not worried about that wooden knob catching fire, why should I be worried about my 2x4's and plywood? Asking for a former friend.

tell it to the insurance company when your house burns down!

Reactions: bholler
Confession: the hearth protection I have under my Jotul 602 is inadequate as per requirements in manual AND, the nerve of me, I'm scheming about sliding the stove back a couple or three inches too close to the wall. I know I shouldn't. But then I look at that plump, pure wooden knob on the door latch and think, why not? That knob is a mere inch from the front of the stove and attached to the plenty-hot iron latch arm. If Jotul's not worried about that wooden knob catching fire, why should I be worried about my 2x4's and plywood? Asking for a former friend.
The question is what would happen if that wood knob caught fire (which I have seen burnt ones). Now what would happen if a 2x in the wall caught fire? The consequences are a little bit different.

Yes, you're right, and for this reason I wont actually be sliding the stove back any closer to the wall (although the hearth protection underneath is admittedly more of an issue for me). Just seems odd that that knob hasn't at least charred yet.

Yes, you're right, and for this reason I wont actually be sliding the stove back any closer to the wall (although the hearth protection underneath is admittedly more of an issue for me). Just seems odd that that knob hasn't at least charred yet.
You haven’t had a worse case scenario yet. These clearances are set up for a crisis situation. The only symptom of a problem is a house fire unfortunately...

Air is the biggest insulator put there.
They char, but history has shown manufactures that it can’t spread so it’s not a problem. A wall can and will continue to spread. All of a sudden, it’s a big problem.

Get behind me Satan!

Uh . . . I mean to say . . . I would leave the stove where it is and give some serious thought as to proper hearth protection.