Diamond in the rough Advance-2

Washed-Up

Burning Hunk
Nov 5, 2011
Kananaskis,Alberta, Canada
I think I got lucky and found a project, should have it next week. Harman Advance-2 showed up on Kijiji for $75, 9hr drive north of me in Ft Mac Alberta. One of my good friends works up there, got a hold of him and he’ll throw the stove in his truck when he comes home to Calgary. Lights all come on and runs well in test mode. A few more checks once in my possession and I’ll be prepping to refurbish it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Washed-Up

Burning Hunk
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks, yeah the ad was only up for a few hours when I msg'd him. I'll put the progress up on this thread once I get it.

Washed-Up

Burning Hunk
Nov 5, 2011
Well, I finally got the stove today. My buddy that was bringing it from Fort McMurray was flooded out in the spring and his truck was written off, just bought a new truck and was able to get the stove to me.
It’s dirty, but ran everything in test mode. Going to give it a deep clean and see if it fires up. Lucked out, it has the glass cover and everything is with it, including heat shields. Here’s a few pics from today.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Some sandpaper and a couple rattle cans of hi temp stove paint will do the outside but I be the blowers and combustion fan motors will need work.

For 75 bucks though, you can afford to buy some high priced Harmon replacement parts.... :eek:

Reactions: Washed-Up

Washed-Up

Burning Hunk
Nov 5, 2011
Well....I couldn’t wait.....vacuumed it out, cleaned the esp and turned it on.....seems to be running well....tear down and paint begin tomorrow . SideCarFlip..black.satin stovebright and...I thought I’d hear some noise...but smooth as butter, but time will tell. I may follow Dons thread that I found on his stove revival, coincidentally the thread name is almost the same.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Nothing much to wear out on a biomass stove except the mechanicals. Most issues arise from improper maintenance, especially cleaning the venting and internal HX areas inside from fly ash.

Reactions: Washed-Up

Washed-Up

Burning Hunk
Nov 5, 2011
Well, busted my butt this weekend and got it done, we’ll see if I’m going to upgrade anything on it after I burn the paint in....firing it up shortly

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Cleaned up nice. How are the mechanicals? My opinion is out on the 'fake logs'
. Look like a royal PITA to clean with them.

Washed-Up

Burning Hunk
Nov 5, 2011
Seems to be running fine, no odd noises. My neighbor likes the fake logs and he might be taking the stove, I cleaned them up and clear coated them with VHT clear header paint, so that might help....It was a job though, tons of rust