Did I Goof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingsfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 1, 2008
Jackson,Mi.
I got all the wood I have processed and stacked, About 2 1/2 cords that are the start of next years supply.Sould i have covered it for winter even tho i'm not using it till next year.I look out at it now and it is covered with 5-6 inches of snow. Sould i clean off the snow and cover it to help keep some of the winter moister off it?

I only cover my stacks to keep the snow off the next week's supply if a storm is forecast. Otherwise it is uncovered. Rain and snow will only wet the surface. Wood does not absorb rainwater unless it is rotten.

No problem having it sit out in the snow this winter and the rain come spring & summer. It will dry for you. Start thinking about covering next fall.
Like Flatbed I also have only a weeks worth under cover. I found I don't like messing with tarps & this way works for me.
Moving the years' supply or more into an airy shed once it's seasoned is best, but we can't all swing that.

I keep about 1/3 cord on my covered front porch all winter. I only cover the stack so that I don't have to chop ice off the splits when I move them to the front porch.

I only cover my stacks to keep the snow off the next week's supply if a storm is forecast. Otherwise it is uncovered. Rain and snow will only wet the surface. Wood does not absorb rainwater unless it is rotten.
What Flatbed said.

Oh, gotcha. All I have is a 4'Lx 4'H rack on my deck with a nifty cover on it. I'll be knocking the snow of the splits if we ever get any.

As mentioned . . . if you're not using it for this burning season (wasn't sure if by "next year" you meant in January-March 2013 or if you meant as in Fall 2013-Spring 2014) top covering it or not doesn't matter as much . . . some folks do, some don't . . . I am in the Lazy Man Camp and I have not top covered my wood or worried about the snow on top . . . by the time I move the one year old wood into my woodshed and then burn it a year or so later any snow or rain has long since evaporated from the top.

I just leave it as well. I keep about two face in the garage to keep the elements off it.

I usually only top-cover the wood plan on using in a given season the summer before I use it. And the main reason I do it is because.of the torrential rains we've been getting in the fall and the snow and ice in the winter. Not necessary, but it makes the wood nicer to deal with. When I build my woodshed I won't be covering any of it anymore!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I do top cover before winter and yes, the wood we split last spring is now covered. In fact, all our wood is top covered but not with tarps. We use galvanized roofing. Many do not top cover at all and get along fine. It has been a long, long time since I did that so 2 years ago the wood we cut did not get top covered. Just wanted to do some that way again as a reminder and see what difference there might be. Naturally that wood has really turned gray but it looks good. It will probably be 2 or 3 years before we get to that wood.

I like to top cover if it's easy & not gonna be a pain with wind.
You will be fine, rain & wet snow will slow the drying but you have time thru the summer (unless it's red oak )

Cover next fall before it gets rained on for sure since ;)

I never cover any of my stacks. I keep a few days worth of wood up on our big covered front porch. If it comes to the porch wet, it will be dry by the time I burn it.

it should be a great relief to hear that you don't have to mess with it...I have a big pile of silver maple and some big rounds yet to split...it looks pretty cool with a lot of snow on them, I'll get a pic tomorrow...

next year's silver maple, some locust and a little cherry...tick, tick, tick.... IMAG2267.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks for the replies..Now I know I don't have to worry about it and it will still be ready for next season.

I cover about 2/3 of a cord of my dry wood with a tarp, since we get more rain than snow and it is nice to bring in a couple days supply of wood into the house I usually burn only during the evenings, since we are helping take care of my 22-month old grandson. He follows directions pretty well and knows a fireplace is hot, but he is apt to be unsteady when tired, so we don't burn while he is around. Don't cover any of the the newer, unseasoned wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.