Difference between 1 year firewood and 3 year firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barmstrong2

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2007
Maine
FaceBook started a thing where they pull a random photo from in the past and repost it. Yesterday, I saw this one show up from 3 years ago. My first thought was, look at how fat my dog has got! Then, I started thinking about that lazy fire. That was wood seasoned, at best, 1 year seasoned, if not CSS earlier that year. I used to have a helluva time with it. The firewood this year is all 2 or 3 year seasoned. Great comparison to show the difference.
FB_IMG_1443733612764.jpg KIMG0085.jpeg

You are correct your dog has put on weight
Oh nice fire to

Reactions: brhorgan
You sure that's the same dog?

I had a similar experience, almost gave up on burning for heat till I realized how important it is to have 3 year old split wood that's also been top covered.

I'm confused: Is this a dog thread or a dry wood thread???

Lol... It's a dry wood thread. The dog just always happens to be laying near the fire. It's what he does.

Dogs are smart.

Its definitely a dogs life. We do all the work. They reap all the rewards.

My first thought was, look at how fat my dog has got!

Lol...a dog is never anywhere nearly as hungry as he tells you he is!

As for your fire, not only are you having an easier time getting your fires going and making the dog feel cozier, but you should end up burning a bit less wood for the amount of heat you get, too.

If your dog is anything like my dog, that's his hangout from about November to May.

As for the wood you're absolutely right. Towards the end of last winter I started running low on wood. I cut all of the dead elm I could find (they're all dead or dying here, there aren't going to be any left soon) and I resorted to burning some Black Locust that had been cut split and stacked for 7 months. It burned well, burned clean but I noticed I wasn't nearly getting the heat from it as I should have been. Earlier that winter I had some Black Locust that had been cut and thrown in a pile since 2002. It got struck by Lightning and blew apart, so my neighbor cut it down and threw it in a pile. 13 year dry Black Locust i'll tell you what It was like we had a Nuclear Reactor in the living room.

Reactions: planner steve
Status
Not open for further replies.