Difference between a Jotul F3 TD and an F 3 CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planeweird

Sep 29, 2008
cincinnati, oh
Hey everyone,

I am looking into a stove for my new house. Was wondering if I might get a bit of help with a few questions, but first a little background.

This is a 3 story, un-insulated brick home of around 3300 square feet. I would be inserting the stove into an already existing fireplace hearth in the living room. It's got lots of big windows but I have been trying to make everything tighter. It also has a new very efficient boiler for my radiators, so the wood burner would be for supplemental heating.

So:
1) I'm pretty hooked on Jotuls and am leaning toward the Castine or the 3 CB. Would I have to run the CB full tilt to heat the first floor well and still have some heat rise up to the second and possibly third floors? The rooms have very wide openings and a double staircase leading up.

2) I've come across a 1988 F 3 TD for sale that looks to be in really good shape and looks to be identical to the 3 CB. Are they in fact hte same stove? Is one more efficient that the other? Any input would be appreciated.

Though externally similar, the 3CB (CB=clean burn) will burn cleaner and is more efficient. But for your home I would be looking at a larger stove and getting estimates for in wall insulation. That's probably going to be the best investment. It will pay back from day one, regardless of the heating source.

Thanks BG.

Unfortunately, this home has too much custom wood work with coffered ceilings everywhere. So, in-wall insulation isnt really an option.
As for the larger stove, are you thinking Castine or as large as the Oslo? I'm concerned that id I go too large that I'll one, cook myself out of the living room in order to burn clean fires and two, that it will take up so much space. As it is, the back quarter of a 3CB would nestle right up into the front of my fireplace.

If this is just for an occasional fire, the F3CB will do fine. It's a nice stove, but the burn times are a bit short. The larger stove is mainly for longer burn times, not necessarily more heat. The amount of heat the stove will put out is more a matter of the amount of wood put in and the amount of air the fire gets. But if this is a closed off room with only a conventional door, then keeping the stove small is probably a good idea. On the other hand, if the room is part of an open floorplan, then the larger stove (and larger fireview) can be an asset. How large is the room?

Re: insulation, how about insulation blown in from the exterior? I've had that done on two old houses now.

Well the rooms are a dining room and living room separated by big pocket doors. Pocket doors also separate the living room from a largish foyer and double staircase. There is a kitchen off the dining room. Living room is 175 to 200sqf, the dining is 200 to 225sqf, and the kitchen is about 200 to 225sqf. If I do burn correctly and keep medium to hot fires going, will I cook myself out of the living room with a 3 CB/TD or a Castine?

So I'm still wondering if the 3TD might be a decent choice id the price were less that 600 or 700 hundred. Does anyone know how less efficient these stoves are? I want something to burn pretty continually when I'm at home but will have the boiler set to kick on when no one is home and temps drop to below 55 or so. Love the idea of a larger stove but honestly, I dont like the idea of having a larger stove sitting completely inf front of the fireplace opening. It seems that it might be too intrusive in the living room. I could be wrong but the 3 CB or the 3 TD would fit about a quarter of the way inside.

As a side thought, if I DO end up going with a larger one sitting in front of the fireplace, I'll obviously need to extend the hearth. The front of a Castine would come to just about the front edge of my existing hearth. So, with the tall legs, under-shield, and ash lip, how much R falue and hearth extension do I REALLY REALISTICALLY need? The floor in front of the hearth is well preserved 100yr old oak herringbone.

Thanks

Both Jotuls you mention need very little R value underneath the stoves. Technically, a layer of sheetmetal as a spark guard would work (just not very pretty)

I own the 3TD, bought used for 350 about 3 years ago. Very happy with it and was very curious to the difference between newer 3 series...

My house is super insulated (literally) and I have open windows on the coldest days with this little 'can do' unit. Unfortunately I cant speak to efficiencies at all, sorry.

I can say that the 3TD belches heat when stoked properly, the issues are well known with these little stoves however.

1) somewhat small firebox, you really have to use small diameter splits to pack it properly. Wood processing takes longer and really you have to do it yourself. Bought split firewood is never small enough in my opinion.
2) short burn times, really you are reloading every 2-3 hours... I honestly don't see how folks are getting REAL secondary burn times longer out of the 3TD.

One thing I liked about the TD vrs the newer 3 series is the lack of burn tubes which look like they drastically cut down on the firebox space....

I'm really happy with the TD, if you can deal with the above, its a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.