Difference between Duravent's Pellet Vent and Pellet Vent Pro?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
What is the difference between Duravents "Pellet Vent" and "Pellet Vent Pro" series pipes? I mean the catalog descriptions look the same. The parts have different part numbers, though. I believe the components will interchange between the different styles. Does the Pellet Vent Pro style omit the rope gasket within the sections? I think the pro series costs more, what justifies the price? I ask this because if I ever buy new pipe (new install or replacement parts) would I look toward updating to the pro series? I must have the basic Pellet Vent style because it is over 5 years old.

Pro doesn't have the rope gasket.. It has a silicone/rubber type gasket. Which makes it less prone to leaks :(

Old pellet vent wont fit over New Pro. But Pro will adapt to the old Pellet vent, so you can add onto an existing system.

Regular - rope gasket seams, must be silicone and screwed at the seams, most has 3" clearance to combustibles, does not have swivel joint at elbows and t's, will fit onto most appliances without an adapter but a an adapter is recommended and the hoods that come with their kits do not have a critter guard.

Pro - Silicone gasket seams, 1" clearance to combustibles, does not require screws at connections, all T's and elbows have swivel connections and all horizontal terminations have critter guards

Regular - rope gasket seams, must be silicone and screwed at the seams, most has 3" clearance to combustibles, does not have swivel joint at elbows and t's, will fit onto most appliances without an adapter but a an adapter is recommended and the hoods that come with their kits do not have a critter guard.

Pro - Silicone gasket seams, 1" clearance to combustibles, does not require screws at connections, all T's and elbows have swivel connections and all horizontal terminations have critter guards
Thank you for the advice (also to DexterDay) because now I will pay attention to part numbers on these pieces as well. Most of the time I buy pieces at Home depot or tractor supply but their stores are usually picked over. Then I buy some pieces online. It is sad to say I never go to any hearth shops because most of these places seem to want to sell new stoves as the priority. I never go to them to buy stove pipe as I think their stock is for their own installs. I have resorted to working with a lot of 12" sections for practicality because I can never get longer lengths to match up exactly on a vertical rise. T
Then I end up with long section-short section...etc

I have resorted to working with a lot of 12" sections for practicality because I can never get longer lengths to match up exactly on a vertical rise. T
Then I end up with long section-short section...etc

If you end up doing it again and want to use larger sections check to see if a slip connector is available in the pipe you use. Makes the job much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.