Differences in Stihl Chainsaw models in different countries...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading through some other threads about Stihl saws on here and its interesting to note the different model choices Stihl makes available in certain countries, and the pricing too. I've also been saw shopping for a month and that process lead to some discoveries. I just picked up a new MS 261 :) ... you can view that thread here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81271/

Anyways, compared to the US, in Canada we don't have the 280 here and I wonder why not...it would have been a saw I'd have taken a look at for my needs. Nor can we buy the 291 without the additional options (C-BEQ version) like you can in the US. Canadians looking at the 291 automatically get the Easy 2 Start option and the tool less tensioner model, no choice. Also on the 291 - in the US, the additional options model is sold as the C-BEQ while in Canada that model is sold as the C-BE (no additional quick stop chain brake "Q" feature. I wonder why they'd do this? Just seems weird to keep that last option off the saw in Canada.

In my case, I was originally going to buy a 290 Farm Boss, then when I went into the dealer I saw the 291 - with a newer engine, new handle and av, new air filter, less emissions, etc. As we know, the 290 is getting slowly replaced by the 291 and to me it made sense to buy the newest technology if I was paying full price for a new saw anyways. But as I looked at the Easy 2 Start option and tool less tensioner, while good options, I was thinking "I'd really like this saw without those options and save the weight but still get the new engine and better emissions." I couldn't get it...but low and behold I looked at the Stihl USA website and you can get it...a straight up 291. Annoying! So next I looked at the 271 - newer saw with newer engine but a bit less power...but it seemed pretty good. But the price was $529 CDN compared to $499 sale price for the 291 C-BE. That's what lead me the 261 even though I originally thought "I don't need a pro saw" the sale price was $599! Kinda seems like Stihl is shooting themselves in the foot a bit here with the 271 doesn't it?

Anyways...don't get me wrong...I'm not ticked at Stihl or anything and I'm sure they have their reasons for all the different models but it just took me by surprise a few times when I was discovering these little differences. Anyone know why or care to take a guess?

EDIT: I just was looking again at the 2 Stihl sites (CAN and US) and we can't get a 311 here or a 261 C-Q model either.

Gotta go slay some trees with my 261 now!

Marketing hocus pocus by Stihl.

I wouldn't dwell to much, as you made the best purchase. Go slay some trees!

HittinSteel said:
Marketing hocus pocus by Stihl.

I wouldn't dwell to much, as you made the best purchase. Go slay some trees!

yup i think i made the right choice too. not dwelling on it either, just posting some interesting info that i found out. figured it might help others in the same situation (in CAN) or maybe someone in the industry knows the logic behind stihl's saw choices up here.

261 cuts like a bandit..thx for your help in my original thread hittinsteel!

As dealers we always said there are too many models, lol. Stihl also tends to drag their feet in discontinuing old models after new toys are introduced. The 290 is still around as a price point I'm sure since the 291 here is about $100 more than a 290. Hard to say goodnight to your best seller I guess. I also think I see Stihl offering certain models as a "package" that a dealer would be unlikely to put together otherwise. The MS230 Picco Duro is a good example of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.