digital thermometer monitoring system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roundgunner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2013
Rural CT
I replaced my second Pro-Fab Elite 200 with a new Polar G2+ mid January. I love the new Polar, it is better than I expected.

Before I replaced it I broke down and bought a MOCREO digital thermometer that records and graphs the readings allowing me to pull them up on my cell phone. This is a real game changer, especially with the old, broken down boiler that melted down on me a couple times. I used to guess when it was time to go up to the woods to refill the wood and water. Most of the time I was close, sometimes it would burn down to nothing, twice it drained itself and melted the conduit with wires inside the outer skin! Pretty ugly.

The MOCREO unit is nice but I wish it was able to do more. I would like to be able mark the time on the graph that I fill it. I would also like to monitor stack temps. It would also be nice to make it expandable in a way the graph would chart all probes and give you the option to see all or just some at the same time to see how they interact with changes in demand.

My hot boiler water comes into a manifold after a Grundfos pump at the boiler, 100+ foot run and another Grundfos pump just before the manifold. It then splits off to heat 2 different oil boilers in separate basements with plate heat exchangers. Each has a Taco 0014 to get that water back up the hill into the boiler. Along the way to return from the big house I have 2 closely spaced Ts that let the cooler water go off to heat a 1200sf second story apartment with a 3 zone radiant floor system. It goes through a temperature control valve to limit temps to 125f.

There are many places along this system that it would be nice to monitor temps. Maybe I could find that the pump at the manifold is not necessary, who knows?

Is anyone using a monitoring system like this? If so what kind? What about a stack temperature gauge?

20230114_105235.jpg 20230114_105104.jpg IMAG1097.jpg 20230114_105003.jpg IMAG0386.jpg HEATING DIAGRAM 12 18.jpg Roof from space.jpg

Sorry, it posted before I was ready. temps to +700f but unit to 140. do your wires go thru the door seal? How are you monitoring the reaction chamber? Thats hot!