Dimmer switch for pump control OK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermist

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2008
Fowlerville MI
I spoke with Taco today and they said it should be fine to run a pump with a dimmer switch. I guess it is just trial and error now so we shall see. Just a FYI.

Rob

thanks for passing this along-

there are some "dimmers" that are specifically meant to control certain bath fans (at least fans that are meant to be used with speed controls)- I put one in when I added a 2nd bath. Not sure if they have some better specs for motors.

For what it's worth, though, unless someting about your system will benefit from slower flow, I am not sure that you actually save a lot of electricity this way- my understanding is that the motors become less efficient at converting electricity to motion when run in this mode, and the "dimmer" dissipates a fair amount of energy as heat, too.

I would be very interested to see how this experiment goes, please keep us posted. The voltage set variable speed circ from Taco costs like 700 bucks.

I really don't know much about electric motors, but I thought that the speed was determined by the frequency of the AC power supply and I thought dimmers only adjusted the voltage level. Is it possible that you can lower voltage level and therefore lower the power to the motor so that for a given water resistance it runs slower?

Wouldn't slowing down the pump speed be advantageous for some storage set-ups?
Slower pump speeds may cut down on turbulence which may preserve stratification

I only put one in so I could circulate my water when there is no fire to prevent freeze up.I figures it did not need all the flow a 013 pump could flow. I too know nothing about elec. motors but I figured a fan is suposed to run flat out on high but then you adjust it with the slide switch? I also placed one on my circ pump in the basement just incase my short runs dont need the flow from a 007? they are both running full bore right now until I get this thing figured out.

Rob

Ok for what it is worth I spoke with a tech from Lutron (dimmer company) and he said you will blow out the dimmer switch if used like this... I then asked about a fan speed control and he said the same thing.............sooooo we will just have to see? I ran it for 24hrs while I was at work yesterday and it worked fine. I guess like anything we do here try it and if it works great if not just dont do it again.

Rob

if your goal is to keep a small amount of water running to avoid freezing

then, in my not-professionally-qualified opinion, but as someone who has fooled around with and read up on AC motors and controls a fair amount-

-both your circulator motor and your electric bill will likely be happier in the long run if you can find and install a small solid state timer that kicks the pump on full throttle for a brief interval every so often (just as an illustration, every X seconds every Y minutes), and then have the timer bypassed, so that the pump runs full tilt, when your system needs full flow.

I can't/shouldn't take the time right now to point you to the type of timer that I mean, but hopefully someone here can

I haven't bought one yet but someone here was selling a unit that does just that.

http://www.bearmountaindesign.com/

Its next on my list of gagets to buy. I have a drafty mud room that freezes up every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.