Q&A direct or b-vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Sir, I am so confused,please help. I would like to replace my freestanding woodstove with a LP gas stove. It now exhaust out into a cement block chimney on the outside of the house,the rise is about 25 feet. I am interested in a sterling b-vent or a jotul direct vent more so the b-vent but the local dealer says if i go with the b-vent i must insulate the pipe and the direct vent is so expensive, why can't i just exhaust it into the chimney and forget about it?

Answer:

Gas exhaust is very cool and so does not always establish a good draft, especially into the cold block chimney. If you get a B-Vent, you'll want to use one of the aluminum liner kits to line the chimney with a 3 or 4" sleeve. If you go with a direct-vent you can still use the chimney - but you need a special adapter made by Dura-vent which converts the chimney to accept a two pipe system, (Direct-vent).

The Direct Vents are a little more efficient, but the whole system may cost more. Your call....

Status
Not open for further replies.