Direct Vent configuration question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Supplemental

Dec 31, 2019
Philadelphia
I am new to the forum and think the cumulative expertise here is probably the best. I have belonged to several forums (guitar forums, Banjo Hangout, etc.) and the experts like to hang there. So I am hopeful.

My wife and I wish to add a gas stove to an extension room (approx. 20'x14'). There is a chimney on one wall, but it is not functional and never has been. It is constructed of cinder blocks and goes from the concrete pad to the roof. The interior space is about 8x 16 inches, so it should fit liners easily. The stove would be about 31 inches from the interior of the chimney space. The stove exhaust needs to go 6" back to sheetrock, through empty space of 17 inches BEFORE hitting cinderblock, then 8" of cinderblock to enter the chimney space (total 31"). We want to fit the stove and exhaust stack under a mantle shelf to deflect heat from the wall-mounted TV above. The question: is there a requirement to have an exhaust rise before the horizontal run in order to establish a sufficient draft? Are there specs out there? We do not want to go vertical for 3 feet before running horizontal, which removes the mounted TV altogether. The stove would start 6 inches above the floor because of the hearth already being there and it is not easily removed.

I would like the answer to be the following: go up 1 foot or so, then back to the chimney interior (31"), then up the liner in the chimney to the exit about 15 feet up. This would give us room to install a mantle shelf at a convenient height and not interfere with the TV location.

Still looking for specs on these things.

Thanks in advance if you have any advice.

Larry

Find a stove you think you want & then look at the installation manual.
You will probably find a manual online.
That will tell you ALL the acceptable venting configurations that the
stove has been tested with & approved for use.
Generally speaking, there IS a rise to run ratio that must be adhered to.
As far as locating a DV unit in your fireplace, or slightly proud of it,
that's a really nice look in my opinion, FWIW...

Find a stove you think you want & then look at the installation manual.
You will probably find a manual online.
That will tell you ALL the acceptable venting configurations that the
stove has been tested with & approved for use.
Generally speaking, there IS a rise to run ratio that must be adhered to.
As far as locating a DV unit in your fireplace, or slightly proud of it,
that's a really nice look in my opinion, FWIW...

Bob,

Great idea. I just looked up a couple of stoves and the Napolean GDS20N seems appropriate and might do the job. They do give lots of vent pipe configurations, minimums and maximums. We have a 31" run back to the chimney interior and then a 15' vertical run to the chimney cap. There is the matter of the 17" space between the sheetrock and the cinderblock. Since the exhaust duct is shrouded by the intake duct in the coaxial style, I suspect the temperature in the wall space becomes a non-issue if I have the clearances met ( 1" SIDES AND BOTTOM, 3" TOP). See, I am learning!

I'll be looking into the adapters to co-linear or coaxial run up the chimney next. I will do more research and I am sure will have lots of questions to find answers for.

Thank you,
Larry

Reactions: DAKSY
The way I see it, to direct vent my gas stove, I need a sheetrock wall penetration kit and then a chimney conversion kit. Since the chimney is constructed of cinderblocks, I need to go through 8" of cinderblock to enter the interior of the chimney. But the cinderblocks are not solid.. they contain empty channels. My chimney conversion kit, I presume, would need a coaxial direct-vent style passthrough, as I plan to use the chimney itself as the feed air for the stove. Or, maybe that open cinderblock space does not matter since the largest volume of intake air will be from the chimney itself. I think making a hole in the cinderblock might be a rather difficult problem as well. Anyone with this experience, I am all ears.

Larry
20200101_172125.jpg