Q&A Direct Vent LP Stove--Up vs. Straight Out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am looking to install a Direct Vent LP stove in a downstairs basement. Additionally, I want to put it into a 45-degree corner.

Some units I've looked at vent up through the top (a straight up pipe for approx. 24") and then make a 90-degree turn to go out the wall. Others, can go straight out the back of the unit.

Cosmetically, I prefer the latter style -- no visible pipe making a funny turn in the corner. One dealer I've spoken to says I need the upward "draft" of his models (he sells only straight-up models). Another guy says "no problem going direct." Who's right? Also, up here in No. Nevada on a hillside, wind's an issue -- blowing out the pilot.

Answer:

Many of todays units do go up before they turn, and some industry experts have told me that this system can cause fewer problems. However, I have experience with Hearthstone and Heat n Glo, both of which go straight out with no problems. My advice, don't make your decision either way based on this factor. Some termination caps (on the outside) make it less likely you'll have wind problems. Be sure to ask the dealer or manufacturer if this is the case with their unit..then get the best cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.