Heat N Glo direct vent 6000TRB won't light, control module discontinued

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hosenemesis

Dec 18, 2013
California
Hi all, I have an old Heat N Glo direct vent fireplace, and at least once a year it has trouble lighting. Last time it was a cobweb in the gas outlet. Other times it has been the control module.
It stopped working today and I took it apart, stuck a needle in the little hole in the gas outlet, and tried it again and again, and it still won't start. It clicks when I turn it on at the wall, but I don't think the igniter is working, because it locks itself out after not firing up. When I pulled the glass off I could smell gas, so I am assuming it's not a cobweb still blocking the gas line.
In the past I have purchased a new DSI control module part # 501-592, and that solved the problem. This part is no longer manufactured, and all I can find is a Dexen 593-592.
What are my options? Is it possible to replace the gas valve, igniter, and control module with newer parts in an old direct-vent fireplace? The fireplace is surrounded with masonry, and I'm too old to demo the whole thing and start over. Oh- and it's the only source of heat in the house. I'm cold.

It’s gonna cost you, but you CAN convert this unit to a milliVolt type system. You’ll have to replace the gas valve & add a pilot assembly. Call your local Heat & Glo dealer. He will have the appropriate components. The job is a bit of a work out & should be done by a qualified gas technician, but you should be up and running in an hour or so.

It’s gonna cost you, but you CAN convert this unit to a milliVolt type system. You’ll have to replace the gas valve & add a pilot assembly. Call your local Heat & Glo dealer. He will have the appropriate components. The job is a bit of a work out & should be done by a qualified gas technician, but you should be up and running in an hour or so.
Oh, thank you so much for the reply. I will do so.