Direct Vent Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatlosz

Sep 5, 2008
Jonestown, PA
I recently moved into a house with a heat pump. I plan to finish my basement in the near future and would like to put a heat source in. I do not have a chimney, and would like to avoid the cost and hastle if I can. Is there a coal or wood solution that can be direct vented? If not what are my options for direct vent heating?

Thank you all for any input you may have.

Gas. There are, to my knowledge, no solid fuel-burning appliances that are "direct vent". Even then, with a direct vent gas appliance, there is piping invloved. Here's an article to peruse:

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hodvent.htm

A pellet stove or a gas stove would be your only two options.

You could use a direct vent Alaksa or a Harman coal stoker. both do not need chimneys the vent kit for the alaska is around $600. Actually i know I guy getting rid of a brand new one in the box. and the harman dvc-500 is direct vent.
but good luck find a dvc-500 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.