dirty chimney pics?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
Would y'all please point me to pics of stainless insulated chimneys that are at risk of fire due to lack of sweeping? Just want to know what to look for.

Would y'all please point me to pics of stainless insulated chimneys that are at risk of fire due to lack of sweeping? Just want to know what to look for.
Any black dirt can burn but black powder is unlikely. Crusty stuff is a bit more dangerous. Shiny hard stuff even more. Tarry stuff more again. If it's dirty clean it

Yikes, that's nasty.

Black powder is all I ever see in mine, so can I stop cleaning it? Or extend the cleaning intervals?
Black powder is still flammable. I would clean annually unless you have more than 1/8" of buildup in that time.

I can’t see any reason to not sweep at least once a year. I’ve thought about going to ever other year, but doing it yearly is good for piece of mind. It’s not fun- my Jotul has the heavy cast plates that you have to hold with one hand while you take out/put back in the secondary burn tubes. When I’m done with it, I’m like thank god. My hats off to the pros that do this all the time.

I sweep every fall. I do it in fall as I once had a bunch of beaten up wasps fall down during a cleaning. I don’t want a wasp nest blocking my flue, or catching on fire if a spark made its way up.

A cleaning takes only a few minutes with a rotary cleaner and then I know the flue is safe and clean.

Yeah, that’s pretty good!

Personally I’d still run a brush up it to make sure nothing unexpected is up there.

We take lots of squirrels and raccoons out of chimneys every year too.

If it's only 2 cups and your sure you are getting everything you could probably go to 2 years
I'm sure it's not possible to get everything without resorting to soap and water.
Personally I’d still run a brush up it to make sure nothing unexpected is up there.
My chimney is straight so all I have to do is disconnect the stove pipe, retract it, and have a look.

If it’s that easy to do, why not run a tiger y cleaner up it? It’ll take less than 5 minutes.

Guessing he meant a rotary cleaner.

Dirty chimney pics…there is something for everyone on the web.
IMG_9354.png

IMG_9355.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Charles2